Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to road bikes (less than a year), but I've been treating my mountain as a road bike for years.

I'm encountering a problem I'd never heard of before on my road bike. I'll list the components first.

Bike, '05 Scattante R660, stock
Crank, Truvative Rouleur triple
FD/shifter, Ultegra

The problem is that when I'm in the middle ring, and shift into some of the small cogs on the rear the chain will pop off the middle ring and stand on tips of the teeth, held in place by the big ring. I can freely spin the crank forward and backward, and always have to shift to get it to pop back on the gear, completely losing all my momentum. I've even had to just stop and manually pop it back on a few times. Lube helps, but doesn't fix.

The only thing I can think of is the preload on the RD, I've never had to fiddle with that before. Though the shop I bought it from didn't do a very good job on ALL the other points of adjustment, I even had to align the FD, and reposition the cable so that I could actually use the barrel adjuster.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind is to ask whether the chain stays are very short. If it is the case, and the chain is not very flexible, then it's possible for the above elements to create a situation similar to yours, especially if you are cross geared. But i can't immagine a workaround.
maybe to check if there is a tight link, that won't move laterally very much related to the neighbour links. and if it's the case, laterally bend the chain in that area until the stuck links move more freely.
Anyway, I wouldn't try to use the middle ring together with the smallest sprocket in the back, or the second smallest one.

Good luck
br.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
worn parts

kenaran said:
The problem is that when I'm in the middle ring, and shift into some of the small cogs on the rear the chain will pop off the middle ring and stand on tips of the teeth, held in place by the big ring. I can freely spin the crank forward and backward, and always have to shift to get it to pop back on the gear, completely losing all my momentum. I've even had to just stop and manually pop it back on a few times. Lube helps, but doesn't fix.
A common cause of this is that either the chain, chain ring, or both are excessively worn. If the chain has elongated more than 1/16" in 24 links (12 inches of original chain length) or the chain ring teeth have a "shark fin" look to them, you need to replace the parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.