Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, this is most odd.

Bought a Breville JE98XL juicer on Ebay last week. Brand new, first quality. Got it for just over $100 shipped.

It said in the listing up to 10 days handling period, and it still says it hasn't shipped. We weren't expecting it to ship until later this week at the earliest

The thing is, it (or what I ASSUME is it) was delivered today. It came from Macy's. The packing slip said $149.99 + tax for a total of $163 something.

What the heck? I told the Mrs not to open it yet. I keep thinking this is some kind of scam. I can see it being a closeout, but the seller was not Macy's.

Very odd.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think it's a scam.

I'm on the phone with Ebay customer service and they are starting an investigation.

I suspect there is a stolen CC involved - the item was sold on Ebay and ordered and sent from MAcy's using a stolen CC.

Stay tuned

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. Ebay's response was less than satisfying. It amounted to "ok, we're going to do something about this, but we're not going to tell you what\, and we aren't going to let you know when we've done it.

I'm on hold with Macy's now. I still suspect a fraudulent CC.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MAcy's response was that everything looked fine, no fraudulent activity.

I suppose someone could have tried to sell these things on Ebay, hoping they would get more than what you can order them from MAcy's for, but that seems like a distant second.

I dunno. I guess I'll just head over to Easy Way and stock up on veggies now :)

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Same thing happened to me and it was determined to be a scam, although both the retailer and eBay told us we were allowed to keep the product, and then they shut down the seller.

It's very likely that the seller stole the Macy's rewards points or something of that nature from somebody else. So they basically order the item for free and ship it to you, and collect your PayPal money.

If the same seller is selling the same/similar products like hotcakes, report this to eBay and get the seller shut down. But you will get to keep what you bought, it's not worth it for retailer or eBay to try to coordinate you returning it and you haven't done anything wrong. Retailer will recover via insurance or hopefully hunting the bad guy down. Some chump who got their Macy's account hacked may be SOL, depending on what they can negotiate with Macy's.

BE WARNED, though... this scam is becoming more prevalant, and if the price looks too good to be true for a new item, don't buy it because:

#1 you are supporting some a$$hole crook
#2 if they get shut down between when you have paid and when item is delivered, you'll have a major headache to deal with

Kohl's in particular is getting hit by this a lot, but I suspect the same sort of thing is happening with Macy's. Also, even if the retailer suspects it is fraud they may not tell you that because they want to save face, and it's not worth it to try and get the item back from you. Better for them to write it off and hope that the real bad guy gets caught or at least shut down.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Looks like someone's spouse bought a juicer for too much money, refused to return it, so the solution was to sell it on eBay.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
It's not a scam.. well not in the strictest sense of the term. It is called Ebay Arbitage..

Here is a good read on the process (the link is specific to Amazon, but can be done with any retailer) www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/amazon-to-ac-arbitrage/

But this is the basics..

1. He purchased the item on eBay
  2. The eBay seller purchased the item from Amazon, and entered Ben’s address for delivery
  3. Amazon shipped the item
  4. The eBay seller kept the difference

1 - 7 of 7 Posts