Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... My bike has started this weird feeling lately. I can't really pin point when it started but it is recent.

It basically feels like grinding.. or sketchy bearings while I'm pedaling moderately. When I'm really powering up hills or sprinting I can't feel it. I've replaced my chain which was just getting to the worn point. I have my shifting adjusted perfectly.

When I free spin my wheels and feel for rough spots at the axle or hub I feel nothing weird.
When I hand turn my cranks my pedals feel fine.. and I don't feel any grinding from the bottom bracket.
I know my hands can not recreate what my feet can while I'm riding so these are sloppy judgments at best.

Till recently... I was well over 200 pounds and I've got over 3000 miles on the bike now. I've started riding much harder recently with sprints and uphill attacks. So.. I would tend to believe I'm putting more stress on my bike.

I'm thinking bottom bracket since that is where a lot of torque travels through the frame.

What would your best guesses be for my grinding problem?:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried adjustments on the front derailleur... doesn't help. My small chain ring has most of my miles on it.. but from what I can tell it looks pretty good.. no curved teeth or anything.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cleats?

Try cleaning and servicing your cleats (as recommended by whoever manufactured whatever type of cleats/pedals you ride).

Some types make for some strange sensations when they become worn, and it never hurts to check cleat bindings once in a while. Some cleats need frequent lubrication and or cleaning.

While you are at it, check the torque on your chain ring bolts, and crank spindle bolts (it is a long shot, but once again, it is good practice to check these once in a while anyway)

Hope that helps.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll def check my cleats and pedals. I ride Crank Brothers Quattro SL's.. maybe its the bearings?! Hmm.. I dunno though.

My chain ring bolts are nice and tight.. So are the spindle bolts. I'll keep searching!

·
Registered
329 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I'll def check my cleats and pedals. I ride Crank Brothers Quattro SL's.. maybe its the bearings?! Hmm.. I dunno though.

My chain ring bolts are nice and tight.. So are the spindle bolts. I'll keep searching!
Yeah, OK. Crank Bros standard cleats wear at a VERY fast rate in my experience. As you describe yourself/the miles you have on the setup, I can not help but think that your cleats may be worn out. In any event, it will be good to have a spare set of cleats (since they will wear out eventually anyway).

It could also be your shoes grinding against the cage of the pedal under pressure/load. Try rubbing a little dry soap (whatever bar of soap you have in your shower should do fine) on the pedal cage and or contact points of the shoe and go for a short shake down. That should cost you practically nothing and may provide useful data. The waxy soap works as a lube that many users of Look pedals are familiar with.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's actually a Campagnolo Veloce bottom bracket. Which from the looks I can get replaced for $36.29 from Jenson which is better than I thought. I'm checking all my options here! haha.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Sometimes you can't tell by looking..

ZoSoSwiM said:
I've tried adjustments on the front derailleur... doesn't help. My small chain ring has most of my miles on it.. but from what I can tell it looks pretty good.. no curved teeth or anything.

I just replaced my 39T on my old bike. It only had 12,000 miles on it. It started to make some weird sounds when I was climbing. I had just replaced the chain and cassette. My previous small ring lasted 21,000 miles. I think the Wipperman SS chains had something to do with it. You could always try a new small ring. If that's not it, save it, you will use it sooner or later...you won't be out any money...

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually.. I feel in in the large ring too. I tested it tonight and really tried to vary my cadence and power to see where it was affected.

In all honest.. My cleats look really good considering the miles.
I'm almost wondering if I'm imagining it all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.