Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-howdy kids...

this is probably an absurd question - but could you build up a merlin as a single speed? would you want to? if not, why not?

i'm looking to switch over from mtb'ing to roadie/cyclo-x and i came across a nice merlin frame for cheap. like what i was planning on spending on a new soma. but i was originally hoping to build up a nice light singlespeed. something for nice endurance runs as well as light commuting around the city. but mostly for the endurance. i live in nyc. i'm sure the merlin is kind of an overkill for these things, but like i said, the price is right and what i read sounded nice - stiff, light, no wasted energy.

are these bikes not sturdy enough for hard city riding? is this way to big of a jump after riding mtb?

pardon my ignorance in these areas.

cheers,

-joshua...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
helenforsdale said:
-howdy kids...

this is probably an absurd question - but could you build up a merlin as a single speed? would you want to? if not, why not?

i'm looking to switch over from mtb'ing to roadie/cyclo-x and i came across a nice merlin frame for cheap. like what i was planning on spending on a new soma. but i was originally hoping to build up a nice light singlespeed. something for nice endurance runs as well as light commuting around the city. but mostly for the endurance. i live in nyc. i'm sure the merlin is kind of an overkill for these things, but like i said, the price is right and what i read sounded nice - stiff, light, no wasted energy.

are these bikes not sturdy enough for hard city riding? is this way to big of a jump after riding mtb?

cheers,

-joshua...
you could but you really need horiz dropouts. you'd have to get an ENO hub wheel or a chain tensioner. Not sure why you'd pick a Merlin for this tho--plenty of other bikes that you could uy for way less $$ that would work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like i said, it's a bizzare question. you see a lot of mutant bikes 'round these parts. i'm curious. what would you recommend? also, the less graphic the bike, the better. simplicity is key here - both in operation as well as looks.

-joshua...

·
Registered
481 Posts
helenforsdale said:
-howdy kids...

are these bikes not sturdy enough for hard city riding? is this way to big of a jump after riding mtb?.

cheers,

-joshua...
An old colleague mine in Seattle has Merlin singlespeed set up. I use to work w/ him as courier before I move to Colorado. I'm not exactly sure what his set up was but if I remember correctly he's only using a rear brake. I believe it's Merlin Cyress or something like that. He too got it for almost nothing. He would take the bike everywhere in hilly town of the great NW. As an x-courier, I've seen some whacky set ups and the Merlin wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sort of a moot point. i had e-mailed the guy a question about the bike and sent me a rather nasty reply - then as if to hammer the point home, i saw the same felllow posting about issues he had with the bike in this forum - and he had gotten it from someone else as well. of course, it was only the headset, maybe not that big of a deal. still. 'tis a shame though.

-joshua...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.