Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I posted my ad back in December, and got a response from this Italian guy who wanted to send me a check for $5000 over the requested amount, then I would give that remaining amount to his shipper when they came to pick up the bike. When I emailed him back and said that I wouldn't be comfortable with that, that I just wanted payment for my portion, he never emailed back and his email became disconnected.

I went to India for a month, so let my ad lapse, and when I returned I replaced it on the site. I immediately got an email from someone in "London" this time, asking for the same kind of transaction, even down to the same amount. I really have no idea what kind of scam these people are pulling, but I'm sure that they're up to no good so I would avoid dealing with them. :confused:

·
Registered
436 Posts
as13 said:
Hey all,
I posted my ad back in December, and got a response from this Italian guy who wanted to send me a check for $5000 over the requested amount, then I would give that remaining amount to his shipper when they came to pick up the bike. When I emailed him back and said that I wouldn't be comfortable with that, that I just wanted payment for my portion, he never emailed back and his email became disconnected.

I went to India for a month, so let my ad lapse, and when I returned I replaced it on the site. I immediately got an email from someone in "London" this time, asking for the same kind of transaction, even down to the same amount. I really have no idea what kind of scam these people are pulling, but I'm sure that they're up to no good so I would avoid dealing with them. :confused:

It's a counterfeit check scam. By the time your bank figures out that the cashier's check check is counterfeit and backcharges you the amount they paid out, your buyer is long gone with the bike and the cash you paid out to his "shipper." If you accept a cashier's check or bank check, don't release the goods until you can confirm the authenticity of the check with the issuing institution. If you have any doubts, ask your bank for assistance.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
It's called the "Nigerian" scam

Yes, it's a scam. So many people have been doing this, I'm surprised that there is still anybody on the planet who hasn't heard of it yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Losers from abroad

as13 said:
Hey all,

This is what I just received while trying to sell my bike, I am asking $2200 and he wants to send $7600. I plan to send whatever I receive to the U.S. Secret Service in hopes of atleast stopping one criminal.

Hello,
My name is nick F JOHN .i am in (U.A.E),i am interested in buying your
Mountain Bikes send me the picture.Which you placed for sale on the
posted adds in the site. Do let me know as soon as possible if is still
available for sale.Concerning the shipping i will like you to estimate
the shipping cost down here,i will be paying for the shipping cost, i
have a reliable clearance who will take care of the clearing here as i am
in DUBAI. Also do let me know if you do accept payment drawn on an US
bank cheque.It great to find . as i am much willing to buy.I look
forward to hearing from you very soon.Also let me know if check will be
acceptable for the payment.My client in the state will be prepared the
payment to you.with your full name address and phone number which the check
will be mail to i look forward to your mail.
Regards,
nick

Hello,
Thanks for the e-mail.
my client in US will be sending you check which covered shipping
cost,the
sum of $7600.which you will have to send the remaining funds to my
clearing shippingagent here
.As soon as the
funds clear in your bank you send the remaining funds via WESTERN
UNION OR
MONEY GRAM WIRED TRANSFER outlet near around you.Do let me know,so
that he
can mail you the check for the payment.give me your full name address
and
phone number which the check will be mail out to.i look forward to
hear from
you.i like this bike to shipping by UPS is $559 international
thanks
nick
nick

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
Not weird, very common

as13 said:
Hey all,

It's the old "I'll send you a cashiers check for much more than the purchase amount and I'll trust you to send me the excess funds via Western Union or MoneyGram" trick! They send you a counterfeit cashiers check for a huge amount more than your selling price and then ask you to send them the 'excess funds'. Your bank will credit you for the cashiers check right away, so you send the scammers the 'excess funds' and several weeks later when the cashiers check comes back as phoney, your account is debited the amount of the cashiers check.

As you can see by my pic, I've received ten of these phoney checks (totalling $48,900.00) and have kept them all. The scammers have to buy these phoney checks and pay about $25~$50 to have them FedEx'ed overnight to me. So I figure what's good for the goose is good for the gander so I play along with their entreaties to me, in the hopes that they will fall for MY SCAM and send me costly (to them) checks. Someday I'll frame all these and impress the hell out of my friends with my casual attitude towards wealth.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Act now, one-time offer!

Hello,
I like much very your coolection of checks.
cost,the
sum of $142,000.00 which you will have to send the remaining funds to my
.As soon as the
UNION OR
that he
and
hear from
you.i like this coolection of checks to shipping by UPS is $255 international
thanks
nick

·
1,456 Posts
Crankist said:
Hello,
I like much very your coolection of checks.
cost,the
sum of $142,000.00 which you will have to send the remaining funds to my
.As soon as the
UNION OR
that he
and
hear from
you.i like this coolection of checks to shipping by UPS is $255 international
thanks
nick
Nick:

Thanks for your interest in my checks. You offer is accepted and I will send the excess funds to your shipping agent as soon as I cash your clients cashiers check.

Is it easy to send the excess funds via MoneyGram? I have never done that before. Do I have to worry about taxes or duties. I really don't want to spend any more money than I have to. Will your shipping agent call me to arrange the pickup of the check collection? Please have him call me a day in advance.

Again, thank you very much for you purchase. The collection can be very valuable to the right parties.

Best regards,
DaveT

....I can't believe these guys!! I get another check today, FedEx Express, with a Nigerian return address. The check is for $3700.00 to pay for a pair of carbon bars that I had listed for sale. And the check isn't even a good counterfeit. Still, it cost him money to buy the check and even more to send it to me. (God it feels good to scam the scammers!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jesus Christ, already...

DaveT said:
Nick:

Thanks for your interest in my checks. You offer is accepted and I will send the excess funds to your shipping agent as soon as I cash your clients cashiers check.

Is it easy to send the excess funds via MoneyGram? I have never done that before. Do I have to worry about taxes or duties. I really don't want to spend any more money than I have to. Will your shipping agent call me to arrange the pickup of the check collection? Please have him call me a day in advance.

Again, thank you very much for you purchase. The collection can be very valuable to the right parties.

Best regards,
DaveT

....I can't believe these guys!! I get another check today, FedEx Express, with a Nigerian return address. The check is for $3700.00 to pay for a pair of carbon bars that I had listed for sale. And the check isn't even a good counterfeit. Still, it cost him money to buy the check and even more to send it to me. (God it feels good to scam the scammers!)

This is getting ridiculous-I place an ad like an honest person and all I get are these jackasses who can't even spell anything in english bothering me with the same replies-"Yez, I like youbike-plese I arrange mi shiperr to pick bik up-tell me your loest posbl pris and I sen chek for 110,0000 to arrang geting. God bless you!"

·
1,456 Posts
Berzin said:
This is getting ridiculous-I place an ad like an honest person and all I get are these jackasses who can't even spell anything in english bothering me with the same replies-"Yez, I like youbike-plese I arrange mi shiperr to pick bik up-tell me your loest posbl pris and I sen chek for 110,0000 to arrang geting. God bless you!"
These guys sit around in internet cafes in Nigeria, or somesuch place, hoping to find a stupid American that will fall for this scam. It must be working to some degree, they keep on a'comin'.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Love that one in the upper right-the one that says "void" all over it. What a dumbass!!

·
1,456 Posts
:D
Dave_Stohler said:
Love that one in the upper right-the one that says "void" all over it. What a dumbass!!
Yeah, they've been getting worse lately. The checks used to be pretty darn good counterfeits, but now they just seem to be bad copies made on a color printer. No one takes pride in their work anymore. Sigh! :D

·
Slow-poke
100 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Checks in the mail is offering that as a new check design. I just ordered it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
OK, I sent u monee, when u sending bike too me? ;-)

DaveT said:
It's the old "I'll send you a cashiers check for much more than the purchase amount and I'll trust you to send me the excess funds via Western Union or MoneyGram" trick! They send you a counterfeit cashiers check for a huge amount more than your selling price and then ask you to send them the 'excess funds'. Your bank will credit you for the cashiers check right away, so you send the scammers the 'excess funds' and several weeks later when the cashiers check comes back as phoney, your account is debited the amount of the cashiers check.

As you can see by my pic, I've received ten of these phoney checks (totalling $48,900.00) and have kept them all. The scammers have to buy these phoney checks and pay about $25~$50 to have them FedEx'ed overnight to me. So I figure what's good for the goose is good for the gander so I play along with their entreaties to me, in the hopes that they will fall for MY SCAM and send me costly (to them) checks. Someday I'll frame all these and impress the hell out of my friends with my casual attitude towards wealth.

·
1,456 Posts
Frank121 said:
Frank: If I send you the bike, will you build it?

(inside joke folks!)

·
1,456 Posts
A follow-up to my check collecting activities. I've received two more checks, totaling more than $10,000.00. Pretty soon I'm going to be worth a lot of money!

I called FedEx today and asked how much it costs to send a FedEx Express envelope from Nigeria to me. (I'm on the west coast) $57.65 was the reply! Now you can see why I'm doing this, I'm trying to cost them money! You should do the same thing. If we cost them enough money, maybe they will stop.

So I'm having fun. It gives me something to do when I'm not out riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DaveT said:
A follow-up to my check collecting activities. I've received two more checks, totaling more than $10,000.00. Pretty soon I'm going to be worth a lot of money!

I called FedEx today and asked how much it costs to send a FedEx Express envelope from Nigeria to me. (I'm on the west coast) $57.65 was the reply! Now you can see why I'm doing this, I'm trying to cost them money! You should do the same thing. If we cost them enough money, maybe they will stop.

So I'm having fun. It gives me something to do when I'm not out riding.

Are we sure they are even paying for it? Perhaps they have scammed someones FedEx # and just getting by for free. Could that be possible? Then the only ones we are screwing is FedEx and the poor sap that lost his acct number. Heck if it is a big enough company they may not even notice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.