Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a strange start to the season for me. Broke a rib 4.5 weeks ago, which was 1 week before the first local series race. I held out hope I could still go, but the pain was just too limiting. Feeling better now and raced last week but it was pretty much a disaster of a day. First race, there was a big crash while everyone was going for the hole shot. I avoided going down, but of course someone who did managed to connect their crank arm to my front wheel. While we're getting untangled pretty much everyone who isn't still on the ground goes by. I'm now sitting at the back of the pack and also realizing that I must have taken a shot from behind as well as my bike is not shifting well at all. I still manage to fight my way back to 28th (of 96). I was a bit gassed but felt pretty good so decided to do the 2nd race as well. Side note - couldn't believe how many guys from positions 40-70 fought me passing them. It was surprising since I was clearly going a lot faster...

2nd race, starting in 2nd row again and we get off to a clean start. after a few turns I'm sitting about 10th and thinking about strategy. A guy is trying to pass me in some tight corners and after a couple turns of duking it out I decide to let him by for the moment but as soon as he passes me he way over cooks the next turn, goes into the tape, endos and whips his rear right into the rider behind - which is still me. I go down in a heap and curl up so I don't get anything run over hopefully. I finally manage to get up only to realize that my bars are twisted 90 degrees, and my rear wheel is not turning. I also realize one of my fingers got smashed or run over and is split wide open.

Sigh. It's been a tough start to the year. Hopefully this week will be better.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
"Weird" is an understatement. That plain sucks.

Lucky for you, though, that you got it out of the way -- the rest of your season you'll be flying.

Now heal up and get on your bike.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Damn dude, I sure hope you are like Cat 2 or something and it isn't Cat 4/5 guys that are putting themselves and others in harms way just for an extra spot at the bottom of the top 30.

Good luck with recovery and hope you gave those guys a gentle crack on the helmet to knock some sense into them.

·
Corey213
151 Posts
I gotta say, if it's cat 4/5 and that was the first race, i'm fine with people fighting for position. Let them be competitive. Obviously don't be stupid and knock each other out of the race but i wouldn't let you pass me even if we were the last two. I want to do better.

Besides that, i hope it was just first race jitters for everyone and you will have clean races from here on out...but it's cross so good luck. Enjoy the season and bring home a W!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gotta say, if it's cat 4/5 and that was the first race, i'm fine with people fighting for position. Let them be competitive. Obviously don't be stupid and knock each other out of the race but i wouldn't let you pass me even if we were the last two. I want to do better.

Besides that, i hope it was just first race jitters for everyone and you will have clean races from here on out...but it's cross so good luck. Enjoy the season and bring home a W!
But seriously, it was guys holding down like 50th spot...not even in the series points...

Anyways, thought I would update in case anyone is interested. Raced again the weekend before last, had some real nerves going, got a slow start but ran a clean race and strangely ended up in the same finishing position...28th. After mostly top 15 finishes last year it was disappointing. The start was tough - kind of felt like I'd lost my nerve a bit. Oh well. Due to travel I couldn't race last weekend or this coming weekend but have a back to back the following weekend. Back to it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, felt like today was my first "normal" day back in cross. The cardio still is off so I was suffering (but when isn't cx suffering?!). Didn't have an amazing result, but felt confident for the most part and ran a clean race. Was fast enough to finish in the points which is good, but still had a bit of a stumble out of the gate. I'm getting there - at this rate I should be good just in time for the season to be over...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's always frustrating, but especially if you're starting back a few rows as such starts are always crap shoots. It'll come back...
I didn't have a great start today, but it wasn't for lack of nerve, just a poor start and didn't pick the best line. So, that's good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts