Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Shoebomber
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this image today at cyclingnews.com. Looks as though this guy is riding with normal campy ergo shifter brake hoods installed onto the TT bar. Forgive me if this is somewhat common, but this is definitely new to me. I can't imagine there being any sort of advantage to having to come off the aero bars every time you needed to shift gears. Maybe it was because of that hill?

link: https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/giro06/index.php?id=giro061/_TM_7532

Edit: After looking through some more thumbnails it looks as though some other riders did the same:

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
That used to be the standard setup a few years back. I think the guys that aren't pure TT'ers feel more comfortable with that style. Santiago Botero won TT worlds a few years ago(2002) with just such a setup so it can't be that bad.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
yeah, I've seen it quite a bit. I guess not everyone feels comfortable with the bar-end shifters or something, I dunno. I suppose it wouldn't make as much of a difference in a short prologue like today...

·
Shoebomber
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting, thanks for the info. I just figured they put ergo/sti shifters on the bullhorns so they could shift while hammering up that last climb. Looks pretty clunky, but whatever gets the job done I guess!

·
MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
I have no idea vis-a-vis the course profile but perhaps it has something to do with the toughness. I cant understand why this would be, but perhaps thats an influence in using your standard ergo levers or DA levers or whatever.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Dick Rhee said:
Found this image today at cyclingnews.com. Looks as though this guy is riding with normal campy ergo shifter brake hoods installed onto the TT bar. Forgive me if this is somewhat common, but this is definitely new to me. I can't imagine there being any sort of advantage to having to come off the aero bars every time you needed to shift gears. Maybe it was because of that hill?
Yep, I think that's the most probable reason. Chris Boardman used the wireless Mavic ZAP shifters for a long time even after the product was discontinued, because he likes the ability of shifting from both the aero bar and the level bar. Note that in last week's Tour de Romandie prologue, the technical course also convinced many riders to use their usual "road" shifting setup.

Check out Valverde's setup shown on Graham Watson's website:
http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/06romandiePr-010000

He finished 2nd in that prologue, so it can't be all bad!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.