Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cruising along and finishing up a few laps in the park. started getting crowded, had to go all the way around a group hogging up most of the road, both sides. didn't see the pothole, and down I went, shoulder first. welcome to the broken collarbone club.

so I get to the er, laughing it hurts so bad. er guy takes mercy, have some Percocet he says; for those of you who don't know, percoset, like, takes away the pain lol. soon im on cloud nine. getting up for the x rays was a bit rough, but as soon as I get back to triage, pretty nurse is right there. more painkillers, sir? oh yes, please. and back to fuzzy nirvana I go.

then the resident comes in, grim look on his face. im like, shyt. says ok, this is how it goes. your clavicle is broken. go home. we'll give you more feel good medicine and eventually it will heal on its own. im like, well shyt, that sounds like a gud deal. cool. ten minutes later he and the er md come back, grim looks again. shyt. on second thought, the consult md took a look. you now have three options. one, go home. two, go home, then come back. three, go upstairs and prepare to be repaired. I was like, ok ok ok i'll take three. got any more of dem percost thingees?

so here I am three, four weeks later. they gave me about a hundred oxycodone on discharge, but I didn't bother, extra strength Tylenol for a couple days was just fine. loosening up, I think he'll let me out of the sling next week, should be able to get up and pedaling soon. moral of the story. hey hey HEY HEY....be careful out there....

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Glad to hear you are on the mend... and not a part of the opioid epidemic...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I cannot tell a lie, there was a time in my life when a supply of opiates, let's just say, wuld have had an appeal. but the pain eventually subsided. the Tylenol was good, but something I only had to take once was motrin. no side effects, no drugged up feeling. just easing of the pain symptoms...ironically enough, didn't have to take it again

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
yeah I cannot tell a lie, there was a time in my life when a supply of opiates, let's just say, wuld have had an appeal.
I had a similar situation with knee surgery last year. Being a bit of a drinker, and having lost my aunt (more than a bit of a drinker) and another friend to opiates, I was terrified to take the hydrocodone they gave me.

"Do not take with alcohol, may cause constipation".

If I'm going to be stuck on a couch watching TV and playing ukulele for a week, I'm going to want to also enjoy some gin and tonic and take a poop.

Heal up fast.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Oh man, glad you didn't need/want all those pills! Hurts just to read about. Was this in Central Park? Wondering where the offending pothole is.

Maybe we should have patches, like Bike Scouts: Broken Clavicle, Doored, Oil Slick, Black Ice, Unexpected Staircase..........

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given the meds, it probably didn't. :p
lol..yeah, I know right. the meds goggles. I will say, though, the nurses were pretty cool, checked on me the whole time. it was the a hole neighbor who would not. shut. up. constantly ringing for the nurses, begging for meds, tv on all night, on the phone, never shut up. not terribly discreet about, well, we wont go there. but I nearly got up to punch the guy in his fcukin mouth. pissed me off pretty gud

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a similar situation with knee surgery last year. Being a bit of a drinker, and having lost my aunt (more than a bit of a drinker) and another friend to opiates, I was terrified to take the hydrocodone they gave me.

"Do not take with alcohol, may cause constipation".

If I'm going to be stuck on a couch watching TV and playing ukulele for a week, I'm going to want to also enjoy some gin and tonic and take a poop.

Heal up fast.
thanks, man. feeling better much

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh man, glad you didn't need/want all those pills! Hurts just to read about. Was this in Central Park? Wondering where the offending pothole is.

Maybe we should have patches, like Bike Scouts: Broken Clavicle, Doored, Oil Slick, Black Ice, Unexpected Staircase..........
they get to some of em. but sometimes they fix holes, or put down nice smooth pavement, then dig it right back up again. makes no sense

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.