Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm broke. My car might need a head-gasket (Saab 9000 Turbo) and I don't get paid til next week. However, I found this for sale locally, for $50 and seeing that I have a complete Ultegra 600 gruppo in my basement that's just collecting dust, I think I found something that I could hang that stuff off of.

But I have no familiarity with Cannondale frames. Does this look like a winner, or is it a hunk of junk? I can't tell if those "dents" on the chainstay are dents or just weird reflections.

What do ya'll say?

·
Registered
712 Posts
the chainstay is so oversized, it is shaped there for clearance with the chain rings.

a few things to check:
-is that chainsuck damage, if the chain gnawed into the aluminum there it could be a prob, but it would have to be a deep gnarl to worry, as these things are so overbuilt.

-make sure the seatpost will come out when the binder bolt is loosened, otherwise you may have a stuck post, sometimes these things fuse themselves in there hopelessly.

-make sure the rear wheel dropout spacing will accomodate your rear wheel axle width without spreading the frame.

-examine everywhere for cracks, look for hairlines.

-check the headset for roughness, you can ride it if it is, but you can get a ritchey comp headset for ~20.00 and have it installed if you want the best handling.

-check the bb threads for striiping/crossthreading damage

-if this fits you for size, it would be a good ride...for what you need.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Doctor Who said:
What do ya'll say?
I had one of these a number of years ago. It was light, quick, and very responsive.

The downside was the ride was so harsh and punishing I couldn't go for more than a mile without running back for my other bike.

It might make a fine crit bike, but if you're looking to pile on the miles- I might suggest looking elswhere. Or, if you really want to build it- you might want to run 25mm tires at 90 pounds, I bet it would ride fine then.

The good news is I think I sold the frame/fork on ebay for about $135. So, you did alright...

·
Registered
712 Posts
the price for stiffness

sure it wasn't all the running that hurt your back?

rwbadley said:
I couldn't go for more than a mile without running back for my other bike.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Tall?

Doctor Who said:
Ok, so I'm broke. My car might need a head-gasket (Saab 9000 Turbo) and I don't get paid til next week. However, I found this for sale locally, for $50 and seeing that I have a complete Ultegra 600 gruppo in my basement that's just collecting dust, I think I found something that I could hang that stuff off of.

But I have no familiarity with Cannondale frames. Does this look like a winner, or is it a hunk of junk? I can't tell if those "dents" on the chainstay are dents or just weird reflections.

What do ya'll say?
I assume that you're very tall, as that is quite a large frame.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a similar frame

I bought it a few years back(with full 105, about $200 on ebay). I have since replaced everything but the fork and seatpost. I now use it as my secondary roadie. It can be a bit harsh over rough roads but it is a real fast bike.

Build it and enjoy.

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kerry Irons said:
I assume that you're very tall, as that is quite a large frame.
I'm a hair under 6'.

Other than the sheer cheapness of the frame, I want to get this as I've been racing and training on my stupid cyclocross bike - while a great bike, is also heavy and sized for CX.

I just want a beater to keep me sated until I save up the coin to build up a Felt with Chorus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts