Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my LBS today. Road a Specialized Tarmac and didn't much care for it. It was definately worlds above my current bike (steel frame) but the riding position wasn't quite comfortable. Road the Madone 6.5 and loved everything about it. I know I will absolutely love the 5.2 so I put down a very large deposit and am now a very excited and nervous man.

:thumbsup:

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Congrats on your 'soon to be' new ride! Nothing to be nervous about, you're getting one of the best bikes out there - at any price. Besides, it sounds like it's the right bike for you and that's all that really matters. :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I am more nervous about the payments and when they happen because my credit card limit is too low to put the whole bike on it at once and the LBS doesn't accept checks.

I just got back from a ride on my steel bike... oh man it feels so heavy and so sluggish compared to the carbon bikes!

13,019 Posts
jsedlak said:
Thanks! I am more nervous about the payments and when they happen because my credit card limit is too low to put the whole bike on it at once and the LBS doesn't accept checks.

I just got back from a ride on my steel bike... oh man it feels so heavy and so sluggish compared to the carbon bikes!
I've ridden steel since the mid 80's, so going to full CF this time around was a big decision for me. IMO CF is more ride-tuneable than steel, but I still plan on keep a steel bike around, mostly for sentimental reasons (and to have a spare). :)

· Registered
761 Posts
jsedlak said:

I'm pretty sure Trek has a plan where you can finance up to $2,000 interest free for a year with no payments.

Congrats

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I paid the rest of it off today, saw it and bought pedals. Couldn't take it home though. Grrrr. Couldn't get shoes to fit me. I am a 46.5 in Specialized shoes and they don't make them in the model I want so I am going to go with the S-Works. I tried the Comp Road shoes but I could feel the lack of stiffness so I decided to go up rather than down from the Pro Road.

· 08 Madone 5.2 Rider
225 Posts
jsedlak said:
Well, I paid the rest of it off today, saw it and bought pedals. Couldn't take it home though. Grrrr. Couldn't get shoes to fit me. I am a 46.5 in Specialized shoes and they don't make them in the model I want so I am going to go with the S-Works. I tried the Comp Road shoes but I could feel the lack of stiffness so I decided to go up rather than down from the Pro Road.
What? Couldn't take it home? Not even to look at it and fondle it after putting all that money on it? That would really suck...:(

How will you be able to stand it?

dave

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dave_gt said:
What? Couldn't take it home? Not even to look at it and fondle it after putting all that money on it? That would really suck...:(

How will you be able to stand it?

dave
ahahahaha

I guess I could have taken it home, but no point. They are going to put on the pedals/cages for thursday. Won't be too bad of a wait. I have been waiting 4 years already.

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<insert gigantic grin>

Got it last night, just got back from my first ride. Almost fell off once because I lean to one side naturally but am clipping out of the other side naturally which made for an awkward stop. Other than that, clipping in and out is easy and the ride is simply amazing.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Awesome!!! I love the colors of the blue 5.2.

EDIT: You'll love the shimano pedals (You can't corner as aggressively as you can with the speedplays, but it saves your shoes from scraping pavement). Hope you got the yellow cleats. The cleats wear well too even with a bit of walking around.

Now, about those reflectors and spoke disc............

zac

· Registered
503 Posts
Gorgeous, I love the Pro colors too... Now you have to take off the front and real reflectors in the wheels, take off the plastic disc between the cassette and the spokes and take off all the warning lables and size label. Then you will look like a seasoned rider even if you are only a newbie. Its beautiful, use it well.

Also, ask your Trek dealer to swap out the old silver seat clamp and replace it with the updated seat cap with the black clamp. There's really no functional difference, they both work well, but might as well have the most recent updated cap and clamp. There shouldn't be any charge to do it.

13,019 Posts
zac said:
Awesome!!! I love the colors of the blue 5.2.

EDIT: You'll love the shimano pedals (You can't corner as aggressively as you can with the speedplays, but it saves your shoes from scraping pavement). Hope you got the yellow cleats. The cleats wear well too even with a bit of walking around.

Now, about those reflectors and spoke disc............

zac
+1 on the Shimano pedals, +2 on the reflectors and spoke disc... gotta go! :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am 6' 2", ~33.5" inseam, 58cm.

I do have to take all the stickers and whatnot off, just too lazy and excited right now. :D

I love the Shimano pedals already, but am really loving the Spec. S-Works shoes. So light and so easy to adjust on the bike.

13,019 Posts
jsedlak said:
I love the Shimano pedals already, but am really loving the Spec. S-Works shoes. So light and so easy to adjust on the bike.
Same set up as me, 'cept I have the low buck Elites. But even at $115, the soles are rigid and overall the shoes are comfortable.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
jsedlak (BTW, nice website - you must do that for a living), ask 08Madone about the seat mast clamps. < blah, blah, blah >You have an older style one and may want to talk to your LBS about replacing it. I don't know if it was a recall thing or not, but the silver clamp ≠ good, the black clamp = good.< /blah, blah, blah >

zac

NEVER MIND ;) how the heck do you delete a post? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.