Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I went down today...

First time since taking up road riding again in the last 3 yrs and first time since I was a kid that I went down on the asphalt.

Bike is fine, buut a got a few scrapes on the forearm and hip. Some small holes in my PI Micro Bibs and that's it. I slid a few feet on the ground. Not fun. Kind of a weird feeling. Never slid on the street lke that.

I turned a corner @ 15 mph and the front nd just slid out! Another flat from these pieice of SH!T Vittoria latex tubes...
5 flats and 3 tubes later in 3 days, I am DONE with them.

The bike is in prefect condtion, except for a some scrapes on the outside of the Speedplay pedal and slight scrape to the Chorus RD. Good excuse to go RECORD now ;).

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
i hit pavement yesterday...

I hit the pavement, too, but at very low speed -
It makes me so mad at myself!

I was approaching a T intersection, plannning to turn left when the light turned green. There was a lane for going left and one for going right.

I slowed way down to let a couple cars get to the red light before me, so I wouldn't be going into the lane to the left at the same time that either car might be going over to the lane to the right.

Once they passed, I started to move from the far right, by the curb, to the left lane. At low speed, I rode through a puddle that had slippery scum growing in it. My front tire lost traction immediately, and down I went. thankfully, no cars coming up behind me.

No style points in that low-speed fall!

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
First time since talking up road riding again in the last 3 yrs and first time since I was a kid that I went down on the asphalt.

Bike is fine, buut a got a few scrapes on the forearm and hip. Some small holes in my PI Micro Bibs and that's it. I slid a few feet on the ground. Not fun. Kind of a weird feeling. Never slid on the street lke that.

I turned a corner @ 15 mph and the front nd just slid out! Another flat from these pieice of SH!T Vittoria latex tubes...
56 flat and 3 tubes later in 3 days, I am DONE with them.

The bike is in prefect condtion, except for a some scrapes on the outside of the Speedplay pedal and slight scrape to the Chorus RD. Good excuse to go RECORD now ;).
Need to stay away from latex tubes. The weight saved does not justify the fragility, in my book.

Glad you weren't hurt too badly.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know I am starting to think that.

It was also nice to see, NO ONE asked if i was ok when I was lying in the street.

The ride is soo sweet, but I am now nervous!

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
You know I am starting to think that.

It was also nice to see, NO ONE asked if i was ok when I was lying in the street.

The ride is soo sweet, but I am now nervous!
I'd be surprised if any cyclists happened by and didn't say anything, but pedestrians and/or cars? Not at all a surprise they ignored you--they think you got what you deserve.

And I don't think I've ever heard any good reports about latex tubes, except that they're light. Since lightness isn't a concern of mine, I never saw the point. You're just adding to my list of reasons not to bother with latex.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have. Only issues was the stem issues. But it was from a faulty PARK PUMP.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yeah, no one bothers, it's awesome.

If you're going record, I'll take a scratched up Chorus derailleur off of your hands... :)

Glad to hear you're just scraped up. If there's any roadrash, let me tell you, hook up some Duoderm and you'll be right in no time.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will PM when I am ready!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed! LOL!

·
Banned
657 Posts
Everybody goes down. If you don't, you aren't racing. I can relate to this most often w/ racing cars. Think of it like this: your experience teaches you how it feels to approach the edge & go over. Next time you will have a better handle on it & can smooth out your reaction to keep you on your wheels. Dude, you’re a better biker now.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.