Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never combine paxil and ambien when you're not supposed to take ambien. and degcongestants. ouch. slept most of yesterday and went back to sleepy late last nite/early this morning and whammo!!!...minor coma.

careful wit' them drugs out there, yo.

hey, where's Eddy?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cmatcan said:
goodness gracious.
well, i never
good lord!
and more like that...
i was just PM'ing with a friend and yes, it was good times. the dreams were amazing. it was a vaction from reality. super-sweet. :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
never combine paxil and ambien when you're not supposed to take ambien. and degcongestants. ouch. slept most of yesterday and went back to sleepy late last nite/early this morning and whammo!!!...minor coma.

hey, where's Eddy?
goodness gracious.
well, i never
good lord!
and more like that...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

hey, where's Eddy?
Yeah, been there. Although, my combinations tended to be somewhat more, well, lethal. Before I wisened up and shifted to just booze, but after I wisened up and stopped with some of the NONpharmaceutical grade stuff, I used to like to start out the evening with a nice six pack of Mexican brew . . . say, ***** Modelo, followed by a bottle of Don Julio tequila (anejo, of course). I noticed that the tequila went much better with a handfull of vicodin, and that a couple of percocets thrown in for good measure really helped even things out for me. (Substituted darvon for the percs in a pinch, of course.) Talk about melt down; there were blocks of days that I officially have determined "did not exist" rather than try to recreate what sort of hell I must have gone through.

Worst coma was in (where else) Amsterdam. Three hours in a hash bar, followed by the munchies, a couple of space cakes, and a hand full of reds. Six days totally unaccounted for. (Subsequent obligatory visit to local apothecary to take care of uncomfortable burning sensation when voiding suggests I may have enjoyed myself. Too bad I can't remember.)

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Mixing Phara is bad enough........

add "Spirits" and there is no telling. My Brothers "Anesthesia of choice" was percocet....in large quantity. I could always tell the difference between just percocet & percocet + Alcohol.

Len

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like fun. that's why i carry a digicam.

how'd you quit the booze?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
I used to take ambien. That stuff is addicting. I only ever mixed it with alcohol and the kind. Never had a bad reaction mixing with those two.
dude, yesterday AM i'm putting my shoes on and whammo, last nite i'm waking in the chair with one shoe on and a day lost. :rolleyes:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Wouser!!!!!

that's some dangerous stuff.....be careful man.

Len

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
sounds like fun. that's why i carry a digicam.

how'd you quit the booze?
Long story. Several years ago, I went out to dinner at a Belgian restaurant and ate mussels that were not properly cooked. I got food poisoning, that resulted in me bleeding out of both ends. (Nothing horrible, but the sight of blood in my stool suggested to me that perhaps something was wrong that required medical attention.) Went to e.r., and they kept me overnight. On discharge, the doctor told me that my blood work up was troubling, and he wanted to send me to an internist. He was an agreeable enough chap, and while I had been unable to scam HIM out of any narcotics, I thought that the internist might be good for a fix. So off I went. Well, the internist told me that I was not in good shape. He said that the red spots that were appearing in the whites of my eyes were from capillaries that were rupturing as the result of my blood pressure which, when measured, appeared to be something like 190/110 (no $hit). He also suggested that my liver enzymes were consistent with someone with a) hepatitis, or b) scerosis. He opined that perhaps I might want to cut down on the drinking just a bit.

That scared me, so I quit cold turkey for about six weeks. They retested my blood, and said that things were coming back together for me, and that in a few months, my enzymes would be normal. Great, said I, the problem is controllable. I now knew that all i need to do is stop, and I could do that whenever I want. So, I went on a bender that lasted six months. What really scared me was that I lost my ability to taste coffee and toothpaste. I asked a friend (an MD about that) and he said, "that's weird, that only happens to people whose livers have failed." At that point, I figured it was time to quit, but this time I couldn't. Every day I would promise myself I wouldn't drink, and then by 10 or 11 a.m. I was three sheets.

One day, I made it all the way to three in the afternoon, and I was shaking so bad I thought I was going to die. I promised myself I would just have one little nip to calm the shakes, and before I knew it, I had swallowed the entire pint. I then climbed into the shower so that I could get rid of the smell that was coming through my pores before my wife got home from work (I still was convinced I was hiding it, you see), and I fell over and broke the shower door and bled all over the floor. While I was cleaning up the blood, I started throwing up, and there was blood in my vomit, and that made me scared. So I called a friend I knew who I wasn't really friends with anymore because he stopped drinking and I didn't like hanging around people who didn't drink, and he came over and sat with me and told me about his story, which was amazingly similar to mine. He took me to an AA meeting that night. The next day, he came over early in the morning and took me to another one. He explained that all I had to do was make it to the end of the day without drinking, and then I could drink the next day if I wanted. That seemed like a long time to me, so he suggested I try and make it til the next hour. That seemed manageable, so I did that.

The first few days were REALLY rough. I shook for three days. I basically just stayed in bed, except to go to meetings. After about three weeks, I started exercising again. Slowly at first, but the more time that went by, the more energy I had. Within three months, I was back on my bike for short rides, and after six months, I had lost 30 pounds, I could taste everything again, and my health was incredible.

The best part, though, was that I saved my marriage. My wife never complained, but I pushed her to the edge. I didn't know that until later. She was happy that I stopped drinking, but she didn't trust it to be true. She used to wait up for me at night when I was at meetings. She told me it was b/c she couldn't sleep when I was gone, but I know it was so she could smell me.

The last drink I had was that pint of Stolichnaya vodka that I had hidden in the bathroom, and with any luck, it will be the last of my life. A lot of people are down on AA, but I gotta tell you, for me, it saved my life. Some people worry about all that "god $hit," but you don't have to believe in god. I'm an atheist, and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Len J said:
add "Spirits" and there is no telling. My Brothers "Anesthesia of choice" was percocet....in large quantity. I could always tell the difference between just percocet & percocet + Alcohol.

Len
So could I. ;)

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

hey, where's Eddy?
actually.. you were not sleeping. a police officer has been asking for you.. how far are you from mexico?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Note: If anyone reads this and thinks they might need to quit, too, beware of one thing: More people die every year from the DTs than from alcoholism. No $hit. They can be brutal. You don't have to go through the shakes. I wish I had known this. See a doctor; there is medication that can sedate you while you clean out. Just make sure you are in a controlled environment when you do it; i.e., a hospital.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
DT's.......

Your story sounds very familier....good job.

My Brother "required" 5 rehabs before he got clean. One for the percocet, 3 for alcohol and 2 for other drugs.....he kept thinking that he had it figured out and then gradually he would start sliding(my wife & I got to the point where 2 or 3 months before he relapsed, we knew he was going to crash, of course he wouldn't see it).

Anyway, I fished him out of a bar at the end of a bender when he called me for help and unfortunatly, it was late on a Saturday night of memorial day W/E and I couldn't get him into a rehab until Tuesday Morning. The good news is my Wife is a nurse, the bad news is she was sick as hell with the Flu. The entire weekend, My Brother is doing his withdrawl in the back bedroom, while my wife is in the front bedroom sick as hell....I'm running back & forth making sure they are both OK.....I didn't sleep for 70 hours, longest w/e on my life. 3AM when my brother is seeing spiders and my wife is puking was a particulaly fond memory.

Scary as hell weekend. Morrison is right with his advice about MD supervision....inpatient dryout is the safest path.

Len

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
last semester i took some of those drowsy cold pills that i thought i had taken before. sitting in class all of a sudden my heart is beating out of my chest and im thinking that im way too young to get a heart attack. doctor said i had some sort of horrible reaction to the stuff. now unless its given to me by a doctor i basically never take medicine.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Wow, that's a bit scary

I hope there are no lingering effects. Pharm. interactions can be very scary and messy. Glad you are ok, I hope you didn't sleep through the knock of the UPS man yesterday morning.

S

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Hey folks... J's, Morrison especially...

I thought I was one of few here... who had/has an issue with "stuff".

This is what I make a choice about every day and I play tape in my mind every day:

Pharms are gone, the non pharms are long gone but I still have my ole friend to keep me company. I'll stop into the local ABC on the way back to the roost. A few shots of takillya and a Dos Equis or two would make things easier and I can sleep. Finally! Takillya is on sale so I'll buy two. At the market, same goes for the Dos XX.

I get home, shower, open a jug and an XX. This really is good. I'll feel good and nothing will bother me. After a few, I lose track of the shots and by noon Saturday the XX is gone and by Sunday morning, both jugs of takillya are gone. By sunday afternoon I really start to feel jumpy. By sunday evening, I am really starting to feel like by body is expolding and I need to find a way to make it stop. Sh!t!!! Off to the market to pick up a bottle ot two of wine to settle things down. By the end of the first bottle, all seems better. Then the unexplainable happens. I wake up Monday morning on the floor, with the empty wine bottles lying next to me. Try to get up but can't. Work is out, life is out! For the next three days, I'm shaking, sick, and have no thoughts other than I want to die. BY the end of the week, the body is starting to recoupe and the thoughts start all over again. What if!... Then, I simply realize that I can't hide this anymore and I'm sick of running from it.

Is life better than this? Yes!

Has it happened recently? Yes!

Whatever it takes... make it go away!!!

Lose a day, it's gone forever!

We only have a finite number as humans. Keep all you have!

All you guys... It's a choice! And, there is help out there. AA, REBT, friends, family, moreons and the like.

I'll be quiet now!:)

EDB

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yeah..

haiku d'etat said:
dude, yesterday AM i'm putting my shoes on and whammo, last nite i'm waking in the chair with one shoe on and a day lost. :rolleyes:

SSRI's and ambien are not a great idea. They are not metabolized by the same enzyme, as paroxetine-paxil reacts with CYP2D6, and zolpidem-ambien is metabolized by the CYP3A4, which means little, besides they are not metabolized by the same mechanism. Paroxetine DOES however potentiate zolpidem by displacing it from it's protein binding sites. Paroxetine is 95% protein bound (highly), as is zolpidem, which is 92%. It is simply a matter of displacement. paxil will displace ambien leaving more of it "free". These "free" fractions of the drug are what is responsible for the therapeautic benefits AND the adverse reactions. Whatever portion of the drug is bound to protein is essentially inert. These doses are meant to compensate for protein binding in the body, EXCEPT, when you have another compound competing for these sites. This leads to INCREASED effects of the drug. In summary, this is why you slept like you did. While on paxil, if you take ambien, you are taking an exponentially increased dose, with the resultant increased effects.
Hope this helps.

Morrison, et al, sorry to hear about your troubles with alcohol and drugs, bad mix as you know. I'm glad to hear you have at least caged your demons.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Dude, if you mort can I have your beard?

Seriously (don't call me "surely"), be careful. You've got a package arriving with goodies for the Mighty C. tomorrow.

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Losing time...

I "celebrated" my high school graduation with 10 Xanax and a 12 pack. Lost 2 days. That was an educated move on my part.... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts