Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I see are Adults riding Road Bicycles...

I was just wondering if there are Teens who ride too!

I am currently 15 years old and I'm just wondering if its too weird for a 15 year old riding a Road Bicycle, BECAUSE I WANT TO AND IT LOOKS COOL AND ITS FUN! xD
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
It's cool for teens to ride road bikes but having the user name BootyHole kinda negates whatever coolness points riding a road bike would have gotten you. :)
pwned
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
32,321 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
It's cool for teens to ride road bikes but having the user name BoootyHole kinda negates whatever coolness points riding a road bike would have gotten you. :)
He coulda picked Assspelunker I spose..... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
BoootyHoIe said:
All I see are Adults riding Road Bicycles...

I was just wondering if there are Teens who ride too!

I am currently 15 years old and I'm just wondering if its too weird for a 15 year old riding a Road Bicycle, BECAUSE I WANT TO AND IT LOOKS COOL AND ITS FUN! xD
I am 14 and am actively racing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
I'm 19 right now and have been racing road for 3 years and riding 2 years before that. I raced mountain bikes from when I was 13-17. Go to a local shop and see if they have a junior team...most do, even if it's juniors mixed in with the older guys. Get in on some group rides too. Some kids will show up there and you'll learn a lot on top of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,593 Posts
I started racing at 14 and met plenty of guys my age into racing. Even had a training partner for 3 years that was a year younger than me.

The only reason you don't see more teens riding is because your generation is the generation of the couch potato. When I was growing up, not only did we have to walk 3 miles to the bus stop, and I'm not kidding, but we were always outside doing something. Yeah, we played a little with video games, but nowhere near what kids do today.

The fact that you are worried about whether or not it is cool is a problem. Me, I was teased in high school about wearing spandex/lycra and shaving my legs. It bugged me a little bit, but not too much because those people knew I was winning races.

Just start riding and change your screen name.
 

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
I bought my first roadbike when I was seventeen, waaaay back in 1987. I saved up money from my afterschool desktop publishing job (back before Microsoft had to go f*** up the whole desktop creativity industry with Tardworks 95 suite--“Armed with a clipart CDROM and Tardworks95™, your secretary is now your $20,000/year design department, and so now you can tell all those $75/hour ‘designers’ to go to DuhVry and got some real skrills”), and bought a Trek 1200 aluminum frame bike. I had just moved up from my 1985 Specialized Rockhopper Comp (also purchased with my own money—parents made sure my sister and I understood the value of money from an early age) mountain bike, since I suddenly became aware that road bikes were capable of much faster speeds than mountain bikes. I was hooked at that point. OK, so I never did race, as I somehow was coerced by my parents into “growing up” and “acting like a responsible adult”, and then one day when I turned 35 I realised they were jerkin’ my gherkin’ talking like that. Now I do what I want, when I want… when my wife approves, that is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I bought my first roadbike when I was seventeen, waaaay back in 1987. I saved up money from my afterschool desktop publishing job (back before Microsoft had to go f*** up the whole desktop creativity industry with Tardworks 95 suite--“Armed with a clipart CDROM and Tardworks95™, your secretary is now your $20,000/year design department, and so now you can tell all those $75/hour ‘designers’ to go to DuhVry and got some real skrills”), and bought a Trek 1200 aluminum frame bike. I had just moved up from my 1985 Specialized Rockhopper Comp (also purchased with my own money—parents made sure my sister and I understood the value of money from an early age) mountain bike, since I suddenly became aware that road bikes were capable of much faster speeds than mountain bikes. I was hooked at that point. OK, so I never did race, as I somehow was coerced by my parents into “growing up” and “acting like a responsible adult”, and then one day when I turned 35 I realised they were jerkin’ my gherkin’ talking like that. Now I do what I want, when I want… when my wife approves, that is.
thats. soo... well... alot of info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I'm 15 and I don't race but I plan to. I have a full suspension 31 pound Specialized Enduro I used for training rides on road, but I plan to get a Mercier Draco Al once I get enough money. I'm not complaining about the lack of teenagers on the road; it's pretty nice once you think about it.
 

·
What up, dog?
Joined
·
473 Posts
I think it's hosed up for a 15 year old would worry about if they "look cool" on a road bike. Be your own person. Forget "the crowd" - forget the BS others worry about. It's something your generation hasn't got figured out yet.You don't need our approval nor do you need ANYONE else's. Do what makes you happy.
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
32,321 Posts
axebiker said:
:idea:

...and change that dumbass user name.

Yea well, what do you know-


Your seat probably isn't even level. :p

I think our friend here is quite inspirational-and I'm requesting my handle be changed to "Assspelunker".
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top