Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just a few hundred miles on my new to me, F1, I found a problem. It appears the front derailleur hanger, is pulling away from the frame. Is this common on these bikes, or is this why the guy sold it? Pretty bummed, since I absolutely love this bike!

Here's the damage:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone like Calfee could definitely repair it for a few hundred bucks. That sucks though. Good luck.
I put in an email, with pics, to see if they'll work on it. If it's not too much, I'll be tearing it down, and shipping it to 'em. I really like this bike, and wanna keep it. It's so comfortable, and fast, I hate to think about not riding it anymore!!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Seems odd that both rivets pulled away from the frame. Makes me wonder if there's a problem behind them (internal) that caused it.

At any rate, Calfee will be better able to assess it when they examine the frame.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems odd that both rivets pulled away from the frame. Makes me wonder if there's a problem behind them (internal) that caused it.

At any rate, Calfee will be better able to assess it when they examine the frame.
I tore it down last night, and the rivets did just come apart. Seems like somebody screwed up when they put 'em in. My LBS is gonna see what they can do, if Felt wont help, Calfee said $450 to fix it.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I tore it down last night, and the rivets did just come apart. Seems like somebody screwed up when they put 'em in. My LBS is gonna see what they can do, if Felt wont help, Calfee said $450 to fix it.
That's better than frame damage. Hopefully you'll get off cheap on this and have a ride-able frame.

·
3T Cycling
1,237 Posts
Who did you speak with at Felt? The rivets don't hold the front derailleur tab on, glue does. The rivets just help fixture the tab when the glue is drying.

Let me know who you are working with if possible.

Thanks,
-SD

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who did you speak with at Felt? The rivets don't hold the front derailleur tab on, glue does. The rivets just help fixture the tab when the glue is drying.

Let me know who you are working with if possible.

Thanks,
-SD
SD, I haven't spoken to any one at Felt, yet. My LBS is gonna call tomorrow, to see what can be done. I figured that would be the best way to handle it. Should I have called my self? I'll try to get a name, tomorrow, if possible.

I just took a closer look at it, and I can see where the tab was glued on, but it looks like it didn't hold. You can see the impression from the carbon fiber in it, but it looks like it hardened before it bonded.

·
3T Cycling
1,237 Posts
Your Felt dealer is the first place to start. I've seen this type of damage when a front derailleur came loose and was ripped off from the crank/chainring. It is possible that it could be repairable.

Let me know what you find out.

-SD

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your Felt dealer is the first place to start. I've seen this type of damage when a front derailleur came loose and was ripped off from the crank/chainring. It is possible that it could be repairable.

Let me know what you find out.

-SD
All right, Dave, I heard back from the bike shop this afternoon. Apparently Felt does not want to warranty, nor repair the frame. They offered me a "VIP" deal, where I could buy another F1 frame for $1600 or an FC frame for ~$800. Neither one lf these options is financially available to me, right now.

Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
$450 for an F1 sounds better than $800 for an FC. Sounds like it's obvious where to go :) Calfee.
+1... I love Felt and have owned five of them (currently own two), but $450 does sound better than $800 for a lesser model. Not sure what Superdave can do but it would be interesting to find out. The fact they are willing to offer you a new frame at a reduced cost alone sounds like they are already showing you good service. you have no warranty and they are still willing to help in some way. That's why I love Felt. Now please excuse me while I go and inspect my
F1 at this time....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.