Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was visiting an LBS that I don't normally frequent today and noticed that not ONE 2016 road bike had rim brakes - ALL disc brakes.

I asked the manager, who's a friend of a friend, about this and his strong recommendation was that, if you want to keep riding rim brakes, buy several sets now and buy a "lifetime" rim brake frame soon. Based on what he's seeing and heard in the industry, manufacturers are going to cram disk brakes down our throats. No questions asked and no options offered.

He had no motivation to lie to me about any of this as he knows that I have a strong tie to a different shop in town and if I was going to buy either bikes or frames, it would be from that other shop.

So yeah, everyone who's been saying "don't worry, be happy" is plainly wrong. THIS is why I continue to point out why road disk brakes are inferior in the hope that bikes sitting un-sold on shop floors will convince shops and manufacturers when logic and common sense apparently won't.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Reactions: Tig

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Was visiting an LBS that I don't normally frequent today and noticed that not ONE 2016 road bike had rim brakes - ALL disc brakes.

So yeah, everyone who's been saying "don't worry, be happy" is plainly wrong. THIS is why I continue to point out why road disk brakes are inferior in the hope that bikes sitting un-sold on shop floors will convince shops and manufacturers when logic and common sense apparently won't.
pretty good chance you're both wrong on this

not that it matters. Who the F cares so much about it anyways??? We have gone through many many many many changes-for-the-sake-of-change in bike standards in my lifetime. Most work out pretty good in the long run, once all the wrinkles ironed out.

our rim braked bikes will continue to be rideable and ridden. so what me worry?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard from another rim brakes won't be around!
No, he heard it from a bike shop manager, who happened to be a friend of a friend. The relationship is irrelevant, and it wasn't a double-hearsay report. The guy may be wrong, but his opinion was based on his direct experience in the industry. Seems to me it can't be dismissed all that easily.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
As I tried to tell you before--you need to go out and buy up all of the new rim brake bikes you can find. Next year you'll be a multi-millionaire when the Truthers come knocking down your door and bidding up the price of the last remaining real bikes.

You may also want to pick up a couple hundred sets of pads for your own use cause it won't be long before those corporate bass turds pull the plug on those too.

Did this friend of a friend give you any stock market tips that you'd be willing to share with us? I'm pretty sure that we all wish we were lucky enough to know a friend of a friend to advise us.

I asked the manager, who's a friend of a friend, about this and his strong recommendation was that, if you want to keep riding rim brakes, buy several sets now and buy a "lifetime" rim brake frame soon. Based on what he's seeing and heard in the industry, manufacturers are going to cram disk brakes down our throats. No questions asked and no options offered.

He had no motivation to lie to me about any of this as he knows that I have a strong tie to a different shop in town and if I was going to buy either bikes or frames, it would be from that other shop.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Why are road disc brakes inferior?
At the moment I am perfectly happy with my Dura Ace 9000 caliper brakes on my S-Works, but I did buy my very first disc equipped Gravel bike a week ago and don't find anything inferior with them at all. I can't say they are any better than my rim brakes in the dry, but I suspect they will be a whole lot better in the wet. I can't see any downsides to them at the moment to be honest, but I'm willing to hold judgement on that until after owning/ dealing with them for 12 months.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
So do people have garages full of downtube shifter bikes that they bought when the big change to indexed shifting integrated into brake hoods occurred?

Take a deep breath, it will all be fine.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
So I just did a charity ride with several hundred people on road bikes.

I saw one road bike with disc brakes. One.

Lots and lots of shiny new bikes and wheels and groupsets. Saw several eTap bikes, lost count of those. What I didn't see was any interest in disc brakes.

75 miles and 6,984 feet of climbing and descending, so you can't tell me that the terrain had anything to do with it. Oh, it was cold and slightly raining too, you'd think the perfect environment to show of their superiority.

Maybe my area is just behind the times. Sure hope so. Disc brakes can suck it and so can the idiot bike shop owners and managers that are stocking nothing but. That shop would go out of business in my area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't buy it. I have a disc brake bike and love it but there's absolutely nothing wrong with rim brakes. From reading these forums and bike magazines, there are MANY people who love rim brakes and would never switch to disc brakes.

Manufacturers want to sell bikes. If so many people either don't like the thought of disc brakes, don't like the extra weight, don't like the looks, etc., I'm sure the bike companies know this. Why kill off potential sales?

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
"This guy I know who has a strong financial motivation to push disc brake bikes because he can hold more gross on the initial sale and make buyers more dependent on the shop for brake maintenance had no reason to lie."

:yesnod:

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Did the friend of a friend happen to have a Bridge for sale?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'm seeing tons of disc brake bikes at the Tues Night World Championships but don't see rim brakes going away too soon, they have plenty of stopping power and are lightweight.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
So do people have garages full of downtube shifter bikes that they bought when the big change to indexed shifting integrated into brake hoods occurred?
Things do not really ever go away and if people want a product then somebody will make it. This weekend around Paso Robles and Cambria Calif the roads were filled with downtube shifters as L' Eroica happened this week. Because of L'Eroica, Bianchi has a bike listing for a new bike named "Eroica". It comes with downtube shifters and set up to meet the rules of the event. It's a Columbus steal bike and looks like a real nice classic styled bike. Apparently 10 speed is allowed in the event because that is what it has.

Anyway I think disc brakes or caliper brakes are just an option for you to make a decision on when shopping for your off the rack bicycle. . Right now the Pro's have rejected disc brakes so we will see how that works out.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I have seen a few disc bikes in races in NorCal. I did the Mulholland Challenge (106 miles, 12500') in SoCal yesterday and there were many disc bikes.. maybe 15%.

One curious thing is that none of the riders of disc bikes that I saw were going fast on the descents. I'm sure there are some, I just didn't see them. It was not a scientific study.

I can see the manufacturers all putting out disc bikes as product planning cycles are long (a year or more) and consumer tastes can change faster than that. They don't want to be left with a pile of unsold rim brake bikes.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Did the friend of a friend happen to have a Bridge for sale?
If you're referencing Clive, I just counted the last ten bikes I saw come out of his shop and 8 of them were rim brakes, 2 disc. The ten before that were 9 rim and 1 disc.

Oh, nevermind. Bridge as in a bridge... not as in the brand probably. The capitalization threw me off.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts