Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in a slight rut with my riding routes and I decided yesterday to drive to the town where I used to live (an hour away) and do some riding. The ride itself turned out to be super sucky as I hit a pothole on a descent, popped both my tubes and blew out a sidewall, limped 20 miles back to my car through hills, heat and humidity, but that's another story.

I ran into a surprising number of business closures.

#1 - Batesville Country store - this is a little crossroad community located in a pretty affluent area. It was a successful store but closed 5 years ago due to some fire code disagreement. I was surprised it hadn't re-opened.

#2 - Blue Ridge Mountain Sports - after the ride went here to pick up a headlamp for my wife. This is (was) a long standing, successful, popular business. Now empty.

#3 - went to Performance Bike to replace my busted tubes and it has moved, but luckily only a few doors away, so no big deal.

#4 - After disaster ride, way behind schedule now so decide to pick up Thai food from the awesome middle of nowhere place which is on the way back home. Closed forever.

#5 - Arrive back home, hungry, so call the Chinese take out 3 blocks from my house. Closed forever.

Weird

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've been in a slight rut with my riding routes and I decided yesterday to drive to the town where I used to live (an hour away) and do some riding. The ride itself turned out to be super sucky as I hit a pothole on a descent, popped both my tubes and blew out a sidewall, limped 20 miles back to my car through hills, heat and humidity, but that's another story.

I ran into a surprising number of business closures.

#1 - Batesville Country store - this is a little crossroad community located in a pretty affluent area. It was a successful store but closed 5 years ago due to some fire code disagreement. I was surprised it hadn't re-opened.

#2 - Blue Ridge Mountain Sports - after the ride went here to pick up a headlamp for my wife. This is (was) a long standing, successful, popular business. Now empty.

#3 - went to Performance Bike to replace my busted tubes and it has moved, but luckily only a few doors away, so no big deal.

#4 - After disaster ride, way behind schedule now so decide to pick up Thai food from the awesome middle of nowhere place which is on the way back home. Closed forever.

#5 - Arrive back home, hungry, so call the Chinese take out 3 blocks from my house. Closed forever.

Weird
Where in VA? Harrisonburg? Charlottesville?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Has a new mall opened up somewhere in the vicinity? Sounds like my old neighborhood, a quaint little town by the water that had the most fun shops. I would do all my holiday shopping on Main St.

There was an old candy store that still had the original wooden everything (since remodeled), a Japanese gift/candy store (now a law office), discounted movie theater (probably not open anymore)......maybe I'll check it out on Street View.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where in VA? Harrisonburg? Charlottesville?
C-Ville.

The sports/outdoors store used to be located in a busy strip mall (Barracks Road) near the center of town but, shortly before closing, moved to a much bigger store at a new town-center like development further out. I read on line that they had a couple of other stores in Virginia that closed at the same time.

Odd thing is these places all did fine during the worst of the economic downturn (well I don't know about the Chinese place, didn't live here)

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
So BRMS is completely gone? That's a big surprise, we owned their competitor here in Lynchburg in the late 70's-Early 80's, they've been around forever. We outlasted them in Lynchburg by about 2 years. We closed in 81. They did close their Roanoke store in the late 90's IIRC.

Is Performance in the same Shopping center?

I'd heard of the closing of the best Thai place on the east coast. I think miss Mei was tired of shouting at everyone;-) I'll miss the duck curry but at least we have the drive in and the barrel house;-)

And DAMN, you get more [email protected] than anyone I've ever seen. I hope you picked up a pump at performance, you need a bigger bike to carry enough C02's..

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So BRMS is completely gone? That's a big surprise, we owned their competitor here in Lynchburg in the late 70's-Early 80's, they've been around forever. We outlasted them in Lynchburg by about 2 years. We closed in 81. They did close their Roanoke store in the late 90's IIRC.

Is Performance in the same Shopping center?

I'd heard of the closing of the best Thai place on the east coast. I think miss Mei was tired of shouting at everyone;-) I'll miss the duck curry but at least we have the drive in and the barrel house;-)

And DAMN, you get more [email protected] than anyone I've ever seen. I hope you picked up a pump at performance, you need a bigger bike to carry enough C02's..
Sheesh - tell me about it. My 20+ years of road riding and I average about 1 flat per year. Yesterday makes 6 in the past 3 weeks! Thanks to our last misadventure, I had a mini pump with me. The blown tube was too big to patch and I didn't pick up on the blown sidewall until I popped another tube. I patched the sidewall with an empty GU wrapper and rode the last 20 miles in 95 degrees with the tire pumped up to about 80 psi.

Performance is in the same place, just a few doors down. BRMS is completely gone. They moved to the Stonyfield (correct name?) shopping center but a friend told me they never really had much stuff there. I'm told there's another outdoor store in the old spot at Barracks Rd.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i often think about this when i make a slight route change in my normal plans. "will this lead to disaster?"

that pure chance has such a huge impact in our everyday lives doesn't always sit well. it's difficult to accept. in his novel, The Magus, John Fowles describes it this way:

john fowles said:
there is no plan. all is hazard... the world began in hazard and will end in it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Every couple of years I drive south to where I first started riding and racing almost 30 years ago. I do a simple memory ride and enjoy revisiting the ghosts of the past.
There is still a bit that hasn't changed, but most of it has to one degree or another. It's a bittersweet feeling.
But it does remind me every day to grab hold and enjoy each day we are here. Darned but it all seems to fly by so fast.
Sorry about your flats. That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalksdazxvy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts