Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out on Saturday morning for a ride with a friend (HH). I called HH when I got on the train to find out that he couldn't make it. I got off the train early at WGC and headed east towards Hertford/Ware then turned north. In London it was cold - just above freezing - and overcast. When I got off the train in WGC it was 50 yards visibility foggy and a few degrees colder - puddles were frozen and there were patches of ice.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
as I was counting on a guided loop in Bedfordshire I was without a map - to get to the quiet roads I needed a map - eventually I was able to find something suitable north of Ware

the fog was becoming brighter - but it had frozen onto my hat wool hat and gloves

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fog had lifted on some of the hilltops but it was still cold - you can see the fog banks hanging in the "valleys" in the second picture - the hard frost was now melting and I was thankful for my fenders

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
before heading south in to Stevenage to catch the train home to Finsbury Park I saw these two thatched houses

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still the fog was never far away - I kept rolling through banks at unexpected places - the banks were colder and obviously wetter - England is rarely properly cold - but it's the damp cold that really makes things unpleasant and makes it feel so cold - 2 hours in and I still had frost on my hat and gloves

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Great pics. I felt cold & damp just looking at them. Nice roads too. I'm in a fairly urban area, and I wish we had more roads like that around here.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Great pics. I felt cold & damp just looking at them. Nice roads too. I'm in a fairly urban area, and I wish we had more roads like that around here.
thanks - glad you enjoyed them!

I live in London and commute every day in serious urban gridlock - it's always nice to ride on empty roads and see green stuff rather than busy roads with cars and buildings - but getting to these rides north of London means a 20-45 minute train ride north from Finsbury Park

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Day for a cup of tea

Usually when I see your photos of riding in England, I think of the ride I did in July 2004, and the pint that I had at lunch. But, these photos make me think that it probably was a day for a cup of tea instead of a pint. Yesterday, Philippe's post where he stated that he was going out to ride in wind and rain got me off of my @ss to ride in equally nasty weather. Today, the wind is not too bad and it is sunny. But, it was 10 degrees F this morning and still is only 24 degrees F at my house. Now that I have seen your riding conditions, I off to dress for a nice chilly ride. It looks like its a day for me to have a cup of tea, too.

When I see your rural photos, it never ceases to amaze me how rural the countryside is within a realtively short distance of London. Trying to find such rural areas within a 20-40 minute train ride of large US cities such as New York or Chicago would be impossible. Thanks for posting.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts