Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a busy July. From July 5th to 14th I was able to tag along with my husband while he attended a conference in Dijon, just under 2 hours SE of Paris by train. An administrative capital of the Duchy of Burgundy (and le Cote d'Or) since the 14th century, it is very well preserved because it was never destroyed in any of the regional wars. We stayed in the old city center and I toured and played around while my husband sat in scientific sessions all day.

This was the view from our hotel window. The large building ahead is the post office. There wa a rack of public bikes, "Velodi", right out front of the hotel. The day I took the photo it had been raining all morning so the rack was full. Most days there were only 1 or 2 bikes left by mid-morning.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
City streets.

The old part of the city has extensive late medieval and early rensaissance buildings left. When the Duchy of Burgundy was absorbed under the crown of France, they were allowed to keep their regional government. Many townhouses were built by the upper class out of the local limstone during the 1500's and 1600's. Many are now luxury apartments.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Glazed roof and gthic architecture

One of the most famous townhouses is this one with the glazed tile roof that is a hallmark of the Burgundy region. It was (and is) a sign of wealth to have these colored roof tiles.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dijon at night

No Fench city would be complete without it's cathedral. This one has three rows of faux gargolyes on the facade, meaning they are decorative and not functional downspouts. They are really eerie at night.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally a bike ride!

I rented a bike from the Dijon visitor center for three days. It was great for getting around town, and bit heavy for extended riding. I found a canal path that went 20K west if the city and rode it a couple times. Quite a few local riders were out on it. I was jealous of their sleek roadbikes!

The path went through this townof Plombiers de Dijon.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water sports.

Lots of activity on the waterways. The canal path starts near Lake Kir. These kids were having a sailing lesson. Also saw this crew on the canal. Travel by canal boat is pretty popular in Burgundy.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pont du Pany

The path currently ends at Pont du Pany. Between there an Dijon there were six or seven locks. This is the lock house and lock at Pany. Most of the lockhouses along the way seemed occupied on a regular basis. Laundry on the line, kids bikes in the back of a couple. So it seems that the canal does see regular use.

Part 2 coming soon!

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
theBreeze said:
No Fench city would be complete without it's cathedral. This one has three rows of faux gargolyes on the facade, meaning they are decorative and not functional downspouts. They are really eerie at night.
Nice pics. Non-functional 'gargoyles' are called grotesques.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Very nice pictures. Amazing how all those old European buildings from many centuries ago (not just in France) are still standing, yet here in ’merica we struggle to get a building to stay upright for less than 100 years. I still need to get over to France, by the way.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

A few years back, my wife and I enjoyed a hurried couple of days in Burgundy (albeit not including Dijon). It really deserves more time. Your pics do look familiar - it seems the architecture and canals pervade the region.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Very nice. Makes me long for Europe even more.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mustard was terrific! Check out part 2 Beaune to Santenay below. We bought several different kinds of mustard at the local market, and some lucious local honey.

A tour through Burgundy is a must, cheese and wine is more my style than beer and sausage. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.