Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just purchased an awesome Lynskey Ti frame, my first high high end machine. To complement the frame of this quality I could only deck it out with the best components so SRAM Red was a logical choice for me. Went to the bike shop yesterday to install the bottom bracket and crankset. The guys at the shop had trouble tapping the frame, it took about an hour. So the bottom bracket and the crankset were finally installed. Needless to say I had a huge smile on my face because the bike was taking shape. I was in a rush to get out of the shop and didn't check out the installation until hours later.

Spinning the crank was met with out a lot of resistance. That made me think something was wrong with the installation... maybe the crank bolt was too tight. After doing some quick research on the web it turned out to be normal. The next thing I did was look in the box in which the crank was shipped and found a bunch of washers and spacers that were not used. The manual for crank installation requires those washers and spacers(one of them is some kind of wavy/uneven spring washer) to be installed. However, they were still in the box. I suspect the particular mechanic who installed the crankset, and I was watching him install it from a distance, is not experienced in dealing with high end equipment. For those of you who have SRAM Red or similar equipment, how important are those washers/spacers/uneven spring washer, etc.? They are explicitly stated as steps in the installation manual and were omitted by the mechanic. Any advice on how I should handle this with the shop? Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm..

the crankset's manual says BB30. i don't see the keywords external or integrated in the bottom bracket's manual. how would i be able to tell if it's integrated or external?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
dovid said:
Hi guys,

I just purchased an awesome Lynskey Ti frame, my first high high end machine. To complement the frame of this quality I could only deck it out with the best components so SRAM Red was a logical choice for me. Went to the bike shop yesterday to install the bottom bracket and crankset. The guys at the shop had trouble tapping the frame, it took about an hour. So the bottom bracket and the crankset were finally installed. Needless to say I had a huge smile on my face because the bike was taking shape. I was in a rush to get out of the shop and didn't check out the installation until hours later.

Spinning the crank was met with out a lot of resistance. That made me think something was wrong with the installation... maybe the crank bolt was too tight. After doing some quick research on the web it turned out to be normal. The next thing I did was look in the box in which the crank was shipped and found a bunch of washers and spacers that were not used. The manual for crank installation requires those washers and spacers(one of them is some kind of wavy/uneven spring washer) to be installed. However, they were still in the box. I suspect the particular mechanic who installed the crankset, and I was watching him install it from a distance, is not experienced in dealing with high end equipment. For those of you who have SRAM Red or similar equipment, how important are those washers/spacers/uneven spring washer, etc.? They are explicitly stated as steps in the installation manual and were omitted by the mechanic. Any advice on how I should handle this with the shop? Thanks.
Did you ask Lynskey if the frame needed to be chased and faced? Most top end builders do this prep and I would never let a newb at a bike shop do this. Except for special circumstances, you do not chase and face the BB whenever you put on a BB.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well...

originally they were not planning on chasing the threads. but the bottom bracket was not going in at all. seemed like paint was preventing the progress of the bb. so that's why they tapped it. i'm going to ask to them to take the bb off so i can inspect the threads. so any word on those washers? are they needed?

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
To answer the BB30 question, if you had to tap it then it's not BB30. I don't believe that the tap would touch the sides of the BB if it was BB30.

Sorry, never tried to install the SRAM Red cranks. I'll see if I can read their installation manual online and figure out what those are needed for.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tap

they definitely tapped the frame to clear the paint. the bottom bracket came as two large cups that were screwed on both sides of the shell. not sure if that helps...

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
That's not a BB30 then, it's a regular BB. I am suprised that a high end frame builder would ship a frame with paint in the BB threads.

Most external BBs are kind of stiff, especially when new. But the spacers/washer in the box would concern me. Call the shop and tell them they got left out.

This is why I do my own work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
regular bb?

I have an Ultegra bb that came with my 9sp groupset a few years ago and if anything that's a regular bottom bracket. the one that came with SRAM Red was not regular(like that Ultegra bb). It was two large bearing cups without a body. The spindle was attached to the drive side crank arm.

·
Registered
226 Posts
+1 to ericm979. Yeah, two large cups on the outside of the frame that are screwed in is an external BB. In which case you do not need the spacers/wave ring. It sounds like they didn't install a BB30; in which case you don't need the washers, but I don't know why they would have been there in the first place -- unless the shop got mixed up and gave you packaging from a BB30. My external BB GXP & crankset didn't come with any washers (except for the pedals).

Any pictures?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

for the reply. so i guess things are ok... i'll call the shop tomorrow when the guy that I trust will be working. sorry no pictures though. my impression was that it was an external BB...

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
Sram???

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
dovid said:
Hi guys,

Sram Red merely requires the cups fitting in the frame and the cranks fitting in the bb. Then tighten the crank bolt. No wave washers at all.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
if you got the complete red group, then it came w/ a ceramic bb, which should feel pretty smooth and have very light resistance, even when new. i find it hard to believe that lynskey shipped a frame w/ paint in the threads of the bb shell. generally they ship frames ready to build, chased and faced. take a look at the bb cups, the small notches where the tool engages the cup, and see if there are any marks that would suggest the tool slipped, this could be a clue as to the cluelessness (or not) of the mechanic that did the install.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i don't know...

the frame was bought brand new. there were no signs of any previous attempts to install a bb. there were two attempts made by the mechanics to install the bb. both times i was carefully watching. on the first try i came close to shop's closing time and they gave up trying to tap the frame due to time constraints. there was nothing aggressive done at that time. the second attempt took some effort for the mechanic to thread the tap. it didn't look like he was abusing the frame. he was applying moderate force and going backward and forward with light force using one hand on the tap when he felt resistance.

maybe Lynskey did ship a frame that wasn't chased and still had paint in the bb... on the SRAM site the installation video(at the very end) shows that after installing the crank you can expect it not to be smooth when you spin it. so i'm not worried about that resistance. if it doesn't go away fairly soon then i'll be going back to the shop!

·
Registered
228 Posts
all sram cranks require the use of the wave washer. your mechanic does not know what they are doing. get a new shop or a new mechanic.

to install,

1.tighten cups to frame
2. push wave washer onto drive side spindle
3. push red rubbery washer onto drive side spindle
4. push cranks through BB on the frame
5. use 8mm allen to tighten non drive crank arm onto spindle
6. tighten bolt until it bottoms and will not tighten further.

easy as that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
quickfeet18 said:
all sram cranks require the use of the wave washer. your mechanic does not know what they are doing. get a new shop or a new mechanic.

to install,

1.tighten cups to frame

easy as that.

Thank you! Poor guy has been waiting 4 months for someone to give him an answer. :D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
647 Posts
quickfeet18 said:

to install,

1.tighten cups to frame

easy as that.
Sorry, I'm going to play the role of douchebag, uneducated mechanic simply because the (4mos) OP didn't recognize the difference between BB30 and threaded, yet is claiming an inexperienced mechanic installed the crank, and this particular reply is, well...

wrong.

someone, please point out where on here: http://sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/TM_RoadMTB_MY09_E.pdf

a wavy washer is mentioned in regards to a threaded BB install?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
If it works, why worry? You got the receipt right? If it fails, it's your LBS' ass, not yours.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts