Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the best place in the country from a riding perspective - 365 days a year, little precipitation, I wouldn't leave on a bet.

Sandia Mountains looking across the Mighty Rio Grande.

·
Registered
144 Posts
terry b said:
We live in the best place in the country from a riding perspective - 365 days a year, little precipitation, I wouldn't leave on a bet.

Sandia Mountains looking across the Mighty Rio Grande.
it would be better if we didn't have goatheads...

On the good side - the bike trails around abq. are great! hardly anyone on them (except for the bosque trail around the alameda trailhead)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrD said:
it would be better if we didn't have goatheads...

On the good side - the bike trails around abq. are great! hardly anyone on them (except for the bosque trail around the alameda trailhead)

Hate goatheads too. Up here in Corrales, we have idjits with acres of them.

re: paths. I brave the section from Alameda to Montano and then life is pretty good. I used to listen to people whining about riding on MUTs, and I always wondered why they were complaining. Finally figured out ours are blessedly empty. We're lucky.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Are the goatheads that bad on the river path south of Alameda? I have only run there, and never noticed. I am afraid the YMCA century is going to use the path in april, and if it does, I am out. I can't afford the tubes to do 100 miles through goatheads. My daily ride is north on Unser from northern, then over on 550 to 528 and back down. Fairly goathead free if you stay off the bike paths.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spookyload said:
Are the goatheads that bad on the river path south of Alameda? I have only run there, and never noticed. I am afraid the YMCA century is going to use the path in april, and if it does, I am out. I can't afford the tubes to do 100 miles through goatheads. My daily ride is north on Unser from northern, then over on 550 to 528 and back down. Fairly goathead free if you stay off the bike paths.
In my experience, the worst places are the River Path south of Central, along Tingley and on the Chavez loop south of Rio Bravo. The path along Paseo del Norte used to be bad (growing in the cracks in the pavement) but it's much improved since the repaving.

I've never had a goathead flat between Alameda and Central.

·
Registered
20 Posts
we do have it good here, we were recently rated number 3rd per capita bike city, but, I'ld challange that based on number of ridable days! We have all! Denver? how many truly ridable months do they have there? :)

RE: Goatheads...What i've found works AWSOME (havn't had a flat since I started doing this) is double treads. hear me out. It's a little rougher ride, but nothing that an extra wrap of handle bar tape won't fix... what you do is cut the bead off an old pair of tires, and then use them as a "liner" on your new or current tires, then I put 1 oz of franks no-more flat in the tube, and go to town. Last weekend I ran through a section of non-paved goat head ridden "path" up by tramway....got no less than 15 goat heads in EACH tire for my trouble...picking them off later was a pain, but I didn't get a flat...still wished I'ld dismounted and walked accross the 10 foot section to the bike path though! :)

LOVE the paths this time of year, just starting to warm enough that riding is TRULY enjoyable, and NO ONE is out yet :) I'm commuting 20 miles a day, and gonna move up to 40 miles by April hopefully, trying to get fit for the BTC, anyone going to that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts