Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a lot of criticism of Tom Danielson and Paolo Salvodelli lately. I’m also inclined to be critical, especially when these guys (especially TD) have clearly failed to deliver. But we would all do well to remember two things:
1. This is their livelihood and they have huge incentives, (monetary and other) to produce the goods. The fact that they are clearly failing is not because they are not trying.
2. If you are 1 or 2% overdone or underdone (i.e. off your best) when racing at this level then you’re bound to be shelled when the roads get steep. That’s the reality of how competitive pro racing in Europe is. In fact that’s the reality of racing in general, and I for one know that when I’m not at my best I’m going to suffer like crazy in just about any race I enter.

So TD and PS are not producing the good and they have disappointed, but maybe we should cut them a bit of slack. Magnolialover is a racer – I bet he’d agree.

· Registered
4,459 Posts
Good post

We rant and rave over the lack of cycling coverage. We pay premiums to get netcasts, and we sign up for satellite tv, sometimes in order to just get the one channel that covers cycling. Then all you hear is shortsighted criticism about the riders and teams.
Riders and teams get called losers and hasbeens after one bad season, tour, or even a single stage. And if a team or rider do well, they are ruining the sport, making it boring and repetative by their domination. People throw out baseless accusations of doping when not even the slightest evidence or association exists, as if they're looking forward to seeing someone brought down.
A non-cycling visitor to this forum seeing so many of these negative posts would wonder why the posters bother following a sport filled with cheats, phoneys, and gimps.
The increased exposer of cycling has opened the door for viewers with little knowlege to rant and bicker instead of enjoying the sport, gaining some sort of informed perspective.
Just wait till Tour time. The pap will increase exponentially.

· Administrator
13,152 Posts
Actually alot of us here race, all's it takes is a licence, bike and a love of lactic acid!

Still Paolo Salvodelli was very poorly suited for this Giro. In fact, he would have much better suited to the neutered version of the Tour they are running this year. With the focus of TT's and very little mountain top finishes, Paolo could have podium'ed much more easily.

They should have run some of the younger crowd like Tommy D and some of the riders who rode well in the ardenes classics for stage wins (the Delluca/Bettini approach from last year).

· Registered
139 Posts
Cycling is no different than any other sport. If you got to a teams message board you will find loyal fans moaning about one thing or the other.
In fact you see many people on here pull for multiple cyclist, so in that aspect its not so bad. I sometimes wish it was more Americanized Basso/Ullrich = Sox/Yankees.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
As defending champion, Paolo earned the right to lead the team in the Giro. None of the other Disco riders had the history in the Giro that Paolo did. Yes, he would have been more suited for the TDF, but you can't fault him for wanting to defend.

Disco(USPS) also has a history of sticking to the plan. Those riders who don't will get the opportunity to do so elsewhere whether they want to or not. It's not right or wrong it is their team philosophy and except for a Classic win it has been very successful.

· Registered
238 Posts
Damiano Cunego

This kid's talent has been obscured by the hype. He has ridden a respectable race and given his youth we will hear much more from him in the future. If he manages to get himself to a decent team/trainer and broaden his talent he'll make people reap the euro-mullet whirlwind.

· Registered
4,459 Posts
francois said:
You guys don't know what you're talking about. Do your research!

:D,
francois
I'm currently being sort of forced to research. I'm transferring all my cycling videos to dvd. I'm just finishing up getting four, 8-hour tapes of OLN's '00 Giro. For $150, the Panasonic DMR-15ES is a steal. I scored a Panasonic editing VCR for $200 on ebay, when it retails for $1500. The owner probably sold it because he though it was broke, wouldn't load a tape. Turns out one of the cover screws was too long, interferring with the loading mechanism.
Viewing the tapes, it's interesting to see all the former/current Disco riders riding on other teams. Paolo, Pavel, Rubiera, Pena, etc. Paolo and Pavel were Saeco teammates. Rubiera was on Kelme, winning a mountain stage. Paolo hasn't changed much. Finishing high in the prologue, losing time in the climbs, schooling on the decents, working for Cippo on the flats.
It's taken me three days to transfer just the one race. I could probably tranfer non-stop till Christmas and still not be finished. If you're interested in a particular Giro, Tour, or classic, let me know. I've probably go it.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
Nah, I'm still critical..

Nah, I'm still critical when racers do stupid things, or, let me re-state that, when I think they do stupid things. This is no different than when I'm racing though for the most part. I'm critical of things that my teammtes do that I think don't benefit us as a whole, or very critical when other teams are racing like jackasses (it happens, a lot). And I guess we can be critical though because we have that "Monday morning quarterback" reasoning behind us. We have hindsight when reading about the races, we have all of the information after the stage is done, and we are critical about it, because we're passionate about the sport, and like to discuss it. Sometimes we're very complimentary, but other times we let loose. We're just sports fans, and that's what fans do in reality, as someone else mentioned, look at just about any other sport in the world, and about the only one I can think of where everyone has some sort of feel good vibe about it, well, 2 actually, are running and triathlons, where everyone is cheered to finish, and supported through it. Not saying this is bad, but for the vast majority of folks doing those 2 sports, it's about finishing and challening oneself, bike racing has so such luxuries, you're out to win.

I will say though that unlike a lot of the Italian tifosi, and other cycling fans around the world, we are more diverse. Generally, you've got a bunch of European guys who will pull for one, maybe 2 riders, and that's it. They join the dang fan clubs, go to races wearing pictures of their favorites on their shirts, and things like that (think of The Cutters for Armstrong, and the guy with the Viking helmet that always wears a Hincapie jersey). We, for the most part on this board, pull for whoever is riding well, and makes a good performance. We're not sour that Cancellara won Paris Roubaix, or that Basso is throwing it down in The Giro, we like them all I think, for the most part. Hell, I even like Danielson, but did expect more from him, and we're just not seeing it, yet, but he's still got some time to get better, not much time, but he could come around really.

We criticize because we love. We know it's hard, because I'm betting you won't find anyone in here who doesn't at least ride a bike, and from doing that alone, you know that riding is hard, and not to be taken for granted. Yes? No? Am I all washed up?

· Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
Coolhand said:
Actually alot of us here race, all's it takes is a licence, bike and a love of lactic acid!
Without trying to sound high and mighty, I think the people that have pinned a number on and raced at a decent level are a little more forgiving and less critical than the average fan who doesn't know what it's like to suffer just to finish hard races. Sooooo, to those armchair experts who think they know everything, get out and try a race this summer, it'll give you new perspective and understanding, trust me.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
I think the reason TD in particular gets so much crap is that the hype in the US has been enough in the last couple years to gag a maggot and it makes you want to be hater just to balance things out.

Would you really rather read posts about "Basso is so great I want to have his children"?

Looking at world events there is also an enormous criticism vacuum that needs to be filled somehow and ragging on races and racers is a safe place to do it without fear of winding up in a secret torture prison.

· Registered
237 Posts
I haven't seen the griping, but I can offer this...

Salvodelli would look a lot less disappointing to folks if Basso had not gotten sick last year at the Giro. Paulo would not have won, expectations would be lower. There is ample evidence that a Basso-based-butt-whooping was underway when he dropped from contention (and resumed when he recovered late in the race).

Again this year, had not Mr. Basso been racing, it would have been a competitive race, and the aged Simoni would have finished second again. Basso may just be in a peloton of his own, a la Lance, Indurain, Hinault.

As to Danielson, the lad rode well in support of Falcone. He was named the Vuelta point man by Discovery. He is a really good rider. He could rip our legs off and shove them down our jaded throats.

gizzard said:
There's been a lot of criticism of Tom Danielson and Paolo Salvodelli lately. I’m also inclined to be critical, especially when these guys (especially TD) have clearly failed to deliver. But we would all do well to remember two things:
1. This is their livelihood and they have huge incentives, (monetary and other) to produce the goods. The fact that they are clearly failing is not because they are not trying.
2. If you are 1 or 2% overdone or underdone (i.e. off your best) when racing at this level then you’re bound to be shelled when the roads get steep. That’s the reality of how competitive pro racing in Europe is. In fact that’s the reality of racing in general, and I for one know that when I’m not at my best I’m going to suffer like crazy in just about any race I enter.

So TD and PS are not producing the good and they have disappointed, but maybe we should cut them a bit of slack. Magnolialover is a racer – I bet he’d agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.