Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well almost, but I do notice a tilt toward vintage items in popular bike culture. Nashbar (the world's lowest common denominator) now sells branded metal toeclips, leather straps, Brooks saddles are more common and steel bikes are not extinct (not a sure bet a few years ago). Maybe the ridiculous prices charged for those carbon components coupled with the ugliness of compact frames (yechhh!) has driven people to common sense.
peace

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
And elpees have made a monster comeback in the world of stereo.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Demand

Fortunately the younger generation and their demand for retro parts for their fixies has gotten the attention of a few savvy bike stores. To me this is a good thing. The guys at Rivendell have always carried good "classic" parts, so I think they are to thank as well.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've noticed some of the BMX manufactures, Haro to be specific, have released retro versions of very popular Master bike from the 80's in the hayday of BMX.

·
170 Posts
Not more popular, but more intelligent?

Maybe it is a reaction to the ever-increasing price of carbon glamour. Slow recreational riders like me don't need that stuff, and perhaps we're starting to realize that. I have a new compact frame, but it's a steel tourer. I sold my "race bike" that I would never race to pay for it.

Side note...
I think it's hilarious Colnago tried to put carbon seatstays on their only steel frame model, then immediately retreated after all the uproar.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure my new Bob Jackson (lugged, Reynolds 853) would care to be described like that, but who knows?

This retro thing - no reason it couldn't be popular - if there's money in it, of course.

Examples from other fields I know about.

In England, the Morris Minor - a car design from just post WW2 with an engine designed in 1937-ish - went out of production in 1974. After that happend, one guy made out like a bandit buying all and any of them he could lay hands on, ended up doing stuff like fitting them with Toyota engines when he ran out of rebuildable originals, getting new body panels made on the PacRim. He started this in 1976, is still doing well out of it. I could barely afford my first Minor in 1970, not sure I could afford another, even if it could be gotten into the US

Model aircraft - I've been messing with flying model aircraft since I was seven - nearly 50 years. One small model aircraft engine started in England, went out of production as it didn't sell. Someone in India bought the tooling in the 70's, started selling them like the proverbial hotcakes. The engine ended up being made in England again but selling like crazy for relatively a heck of a lot more than it did first time around, when no-one would buy them.

Compared to that level of engineering, a bike is simple stuff. Producing a 'copy' of 60's / 70's Campag, for one example, wouldn't be all that hard. Especially now we have the Chinese, who have copied things Mig jet sfighter and about anything else they've seen profit in and could get hold of one example of ...

Would I consider taking all the stuff off my Bianchi Pista and replacing it with 1960s/70s lookalike Campag track gear, like I could never have afforded back then? Quite possibly - but then I could order a Bob Jackson track frame with front brake clearance and a 60's style paint job, for a practical bike that looked the part, but had modern standard bearings and materials.

Idle thought ...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
And elpees have made a monster comeback in the world of stereo.
Family member used to work for Carver Electronics. I still remember their "retro" tube amplifier that was being sold (in very small quantities I'm sure) as recently as the 90's--that thing was *&% beautiful, and very very expensive.

Old doesn't mean surpassed. And in some things, old can be better.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
With regard to the Colnago comment...........

PeatD said:
Maybe it is a reaction to the ever-increasing price of carbon glamour. Slow recreational riders like me don't need that stuff, and perhaps we're starting to realize that. I have a new compact frame, but it's a steel tourer. I sold my "race bike" that I would never race to pay for it.

Side note...
I think it's hilarious Colnago tried to put carbon seatstays on their only steel frame model, then immediately retreated after all the uproar.
That will mean for the very same reason a few people will be seeking steel 'nags with carbon back ends very very shortly......................

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why do I like the retro??

I love the ability to tear the stuff down and rebuild it. My reason for getting into the retro stuff is that I wanted to learn more about bike maintenance overall and ended up catching the bug. The "old stuff" has more soul, beautiful lugwork, and history that often has a passionate following. It is loads of fun to learn about.

-Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts