Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, living here in eastern MA, where it has been raining for? Geez I forget how many days now. Anyway, been doing the commute to work rain or not. Wondering what people have found effective for keeping stuff, like my laptop, dry on the ride. I've been putting the valuables in plastic trash bags and so far so good, but I think it's only a matter of time before this fails. Any recommendations on waterproof backpacks or such would be appreciated. My other question is about fenders, worth it? Any pros and cons that should be considered? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My $0.02.

Fenders:

buy them, use them... Period. I use SKS and they keep the spray off of the bike (mostly) and off of me. Getting rid of the water from below is half the battle.

As far as keeping stuff dry, I don't pack a laptop so I don't worry about that. Plastic bags for most things, ziplock for the small electronics (Treo).

-James

Jwaydr said:
Hi all, living here in eastern MA, where it has been raining for? Geez I forget how many days now. Anyway, been doing the commute to work rain or not. Wondering what people have found effective for keeping stuff, like my laptop, dry on the ride. I've been putting the valuables in plastic trash bags and so far so good, but I think it's only a matter of time before this fails. Any recommendations on waterproof backpacks or such would be appreciated. My other question is about fenders, worth it? Any pros and cons that should be considered? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Plastic Bags

I second the Plastic Bag idea. When I went to college in Flagstaff, Arizona we had lots of rain and snow. I would simply put everything in a plastic bag inside of my back pack. Kind of make a liner around the inside of the bag. It worked great. If I had anything extremly sensitive I would double bag it!

Also, don't forget that you can spray you bag's material with scotch guard, this helps a little bit.

Lastly, look for waterproof bags: http://www.chromebags.com/waterproofpacks.html

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
If it has worked, what has changed to make it not work?

Plastic bags are great.

Chrome bags are the way to go IMHO but they are a bit pricy compared to some (they just work the best).

Fenders; why wouldn't you run fenders? Everybike except actual race day bikes ought to have fenders.

MB1
A bit grumpy today since it is raining here too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
ortlieb bags/panniers are waterproof. but expensive. worth it if you carry a laptop, tho. i had one, but sold it when i realized that i dont commute in the rain by bike.

i also use a laptop sleeve from tom bihn. google him. again, expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Banjo Brothers makes a set of waterproof panniers that really are waterproof- but I can't fit my laptop in.

I use a nylon rain cover over my laptop bag. The rain cover was actually made for another set of panniers, but it fits great.

Jwaydr said:

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Love my fenders! Even here in Texas they come in handy.

Chrome bag is greatness. I use it more than my panniers. I don't carry a laptop very often, but when I do it works just fine with the bag. I also have a small Pelican case that I put my "delicates" in just to be on the safe side... That's the ultimate in environmental protection.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Full fenders are absolutely essential if you're commuting a lot in the rain. With them, you'll be able to ride in light rain and on wet roads without a second thought; road spray just won't get to you. A full rear fender keeps spray off your back, your feet, and your drivetrain. Most front fenders aren't long enough, so you'll get lots of spray on your feet unless you put a nice long mud flap on it -- then you'll be completely protected from road spray coming off your tires. The problem is that most "regular" road bikes don't have clearance for full fenders. Touring and cyclocross bikes do. If you have a road bike, you might want to look at SKS raceblades, which are designed for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.