Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all

I got caught in a serious downpour and my shimano R151 (carbon sole) shoes got very wet. Now, 3 days after they are still a little damp in the rear of the shoe (the heel part) and they seriously stink.

I am looking for any preventative measures for the future (what do to post wet ride) as well as "what do I do now" advice.

thanks

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
newspaper

acid_rider said:
I got caught in a serious downpour and my shimano R151 (carbon sole) shoes got very wet. Now, 3 days after they are still a little damp in the rear of the shoe (the heel part) and they seriously stink.

I am looking for any preventative measures for the future (what do to post wet ride) as well as "what do I do now" advice.
The standard way to dry out shoes is crumpled newspaper. Replace when it gets damp. If you have a source of moving air (like a fan) that will help too. Putting them over a heat register or on a baseboard heater is a generally bad idea. An all-synthetic shoe will take the heat better than one with leather. Also, most bike shoes can be run through the washing machine, IME.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I take old dish towels (which are actually bike rags now) and fill the shoes up with them. Then I clip them into a bike and let them hang there.

They've always been dry the next day, without the mouldy smell.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Take the insoles out & put them in the washer & dryer. When the shoes have dried, try sprinkling a little baking soda in them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Boy I tell you what works very good...A Dehumidifier
Dries them so nice.
They are not cheap & they use a lot of electricity but boy ;)
Actually I just checked sears & they are not that pricey now.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_SessionID=%40%40%40%402043168495.1146625795%40%40%40%40&BV_EngineID=cclgaddhjihgdidcegecegjdghldghf.0&verticalFullName=&keyword=dehumidifier&displayTarget=searchresults&gobutton.x=0&gobutton.y=0&gobutton=find
An hour or two in front of that & they are nice & fresh as if they never got wet.
It is not hot so no damage to the shoes.
As for prevention overshoes help but if the down pour is big enough nothing helps.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Or rags

Kerry Irons said:
The standard way to dry out shoes is crumpled newspaper. Replace when it gets damp. If you have a source of moving air (like a fan) that will help too. Putting them over a heat register or on a baseboard heater is a generally bad idea. An all-synthetic shoe will take the heat better than one with leather. Also, most bike shoes can be run through the washing machine, IME.
Yeah, this is what I do, though I use rags since I don't subscribe to the 'paper.

Also take out insoles, fully undo straps, pull open tongue, etc, and leave in a ventilated area.

This almost always can get a shoe fully dry for me overnight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same thing happened to me. My usual routine is to squeeze some dish soap (cheap, antibacterial, and smells nice) into the shoe and hose it out with the garden hose until there are no more bubbles. Then I place them on my gas range for a couple of days. Before you all gasp, let me explain: I only use 2 of the 4 burners on my gas range. So I have metal covers on the other two. Since they're gas, there is a pilot light on, which keeps the covers about as warm as the top of your TV set- even less. So it usually takes about 2-3 days for the shoes to dry completely. Also, make sure to take out the inner sole while drying if your shoes has them. And another thing- if you want to replace the inner sole, go buy Odor Eaters 'Ultra Durable' at your local drugstore for $6. I actually placed them on top of the ones that came with my shoes (SIDIs) because the old ones had compressed to a fraction of their original thickness and after adding the OE on top my shoes now fit me much better- like when they were new! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
To help get rid of the smell put new dryer sheets in each shoe for a few days, or whenever you take them off. Cheap and easy. Works great when your combat boots are stinkin' up the tent too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.