Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Soma Smoothie w/ 105 from GVHBikes. It is coming w/ the WH-R550 wheelset. I'm trying to learn to be a self sufficient home mechanic, I just don't have the cash to spend to let someone else work on my bike. I'm getting a truing stand attachment for my park tools stand so I can keep the wheels true. Aparantly this is an issue with these wheels for guys who weigh over 230lbs. I weigh 150.

When truing these or any wheels how important is it to use a spoke tension gauge to measure tension. Is it something you can easily do by feel or is it worth the $50.00 investment to get the Part Tool TM-1?

Also does anyone make a good gauge for less money?

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
mjlarocco said:
When truing ....... wheels how important is it to use a spoke tension gauge to measure tension. Is it something you can easily do by feel or is it worth the $50.00 investment to get the Part Tool TM-1?
Also does anyone make a good gauge for less money?
Depending on your skill level and experience in judging spoke tension (obviously yours will be zero right now) it's not at all important to use a tensiometer. Many of us have years of experience in wheelbuilding without one. My wheelbuilding tips talk about doing just this and the link there to Roger's great wheelbuilding e-book has lots on the subject.
There are a couple of "inexpensive" ones out there (Park, Wheelsmith) and a really expensive one (DT) but I'd waste $0.50 if that's what I paid for all three together. I just have no use for one and certainly don't suffer from not having one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.