Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking here (and riding) since late April. Great forum.

After preping for two months and averaging 500 per month, I went for my first century Friday. No problems at the turnaround - 53 miles one way and back was the planned route. On the way back I was passed just outside St. Mary's, KS by a big combine. After recovering from the shock, it dawned on me that my free ride was leaving me behind. At that point I sprinted and closed the 100 yards to the rear of my magic carpet and rode it for 13 miles to Wamego. Given that the wind was in my face at 10-15 over that stretch, I was glad for the help. By the way - a John Deere combine runs at 24 on the flats and 23 uphill. Beats sucking the exhaust off some bus in California! I'll bet I didn't have to pedal maybe 5 or 6 strokes every thirty seconds! Finished up at 102.5 miles and even averaged 17.8. What a ride. :D

The bad part of the day was the bonk in the last 5 miles - to include passing out at the local McDonalds in Manhattan once I arrived. By the way - very nice people there. Took care of me and got me orange juice, offered to help, etc. I had planned to ride back to the house (another 4 miles), but had to call my wife for a ride. She was more than happy to come when she heard that the ambulance crew wasn't going to leave until she arrived. Try explaining that one to the Mrs. when she shows up! Lesson learned - consume more electrolytes and carbs on the way back! :mad2:

Still riding - but no more centuries until the temps drop a bit.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The part about you being in Kansas didn't register, so I wondered why there was a combine driving through Manhattan. Now I understand.

I passed out on a ride once from heat exhaustion. Luckily it was while I was getting into the car of a nurse who happened to drive by and see me in trouble. That's an experience I never want to repeat.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Man, with the humidity and heat this time of year down there I'm not surprised you dropped. I did the same thing last summer in Sacramento, CA. 103 degrees and high humidity. Stopped at a drinking faucet and realized the whole world was spinning. I had to sit with my head under the faucet for a few minutes and then could only ride a mile or two before stopping at another drinking faucet to cool down. Thankfully I was on a bike path with a lot of water stops. I was eating plenty, drinking plenty, and full of electrolytes. I just couldn't handle the heat.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Man, I feel like a cry baby around you guys. I left for work at 2:15 this afterrnoon in the terrible florida heat, carrying a 15 lb. backpack and I thought I was going to die before I got there. It was only 7 miles, but it kicked my ass big time. The headwind I was riding into felt like a blast furnace, and my lungs felt like they'd been seared. When I got there, I was completely soaked, just like I stepped out of the shower. I was sweating buckets, and was out of breath, but my muscles were'nt tired, so I did'nt know what to think. I could'nt understand it. This is the same commute I've been doing for five months everyday, except this was the first time I rode to work at 2:00 in the afternoon. Normally I work from midnight to 0800. Oh yeah, I also forgot my water bottle, and did'nt stop until I got there.

When I got off at midnight the temps were a lot cooler, and I zipped along at 17 mph most of the way home, even with my heavy backpack. Was'nt tired at all. It was great. I think my average speed going to work in the heat was like 12.4. Coming home in the dark it was like 16.2.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Congrats on your century. I totally understand about not having the energy to ride even 4 mi home. I have been roading a little longer than you relate, but I found myself there several days ago.

Add some wind to this Midwestern heat & a long ride can turn brutal in a hurry. Last Sat I went out on a local club ride advertised as a flat meandering loop of 65mi, so I figure just a pleasant morning metric (100k) out through some pretty farm country. Actual route was almost 85 wide open miiles, inc optional loop & road contruction detours. Ride started pleasantly enough doing an easy 18-20 mph downwind with a decent pack. Pack split up after the 1st SAG. Heading home became an every-man-for-himself sufferfest. It heated up into the humid low 90's & that gentle breeze increased to a gusty 15-20+mph blast furnace of a headwind. No combine's to draft :( Tried to stay hydrated/ fueled with sports drink & bars. Ran out of water twice, got leg cramps at 75 mi, and bonked toward the end. Had to stop just 3 mi from the finish to rehydrate and beg a gel pack from another rider. Didn't quite pass out, but felt like total crap. Even after a 10min rest, I could barely keep up 13-14mph those last few miles in on busy suburban roads. I've done centuries before, but this was easily my toughest ride so far. God bless the two fellow riders who stayed with me the last dozen miles!!!

As a middle-aged ex-MTBer I find it's hard to learn to pace yourself on long hot rides, esp with major changes in conditons during the ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.