Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode about 15 miles into a stiff head wind today and figured I'd have a tail wind for the return loop...this being a good thing. I got to the furthest point, hit a rock with my rear and went flat instantly! I changed out the tube, rode about 10 feet and KABLAMMM...the rear blew out big time, I figure that I damaged the tire when I hit the rock that gave me the first flat. Anyway, I called the wife to come rescue me with the truck...and I didn't get to ride the tail wind home after all that work riding into it...what a ripoff!

It's all good now, I have a fresh pair of skins mounted up on my trusty steed so I'll try it again tomorrow...

·
Registered
636 Posts
pinch flat?

so excited about the tailwind that you prematurely inflated the tube, without the usual care to practice safe inflation, unintentionally and accidentally blowing it, when you didn't really want to?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o/0 said:
pinch flat?

so excited about the tailwind that you prematurely inflated the tube, without the usual care to practice safe inflation, unintentionally and accidentally blowing it, when you didn't really want to?
The first puncture had the classic pinch flat "snake bite". I examined the tire and when I inflated it seated on the rim properly. When I got home I examined the tire more carefully and saw there was damage to the inside sidewall and this caused the spare tube I put in to pop, sounding like a gun shot.

No biggie, the tires were pretty worn and due for change out anyway and I had a spare pair on the shelf. I'll be heading out in a little while to try that tailwind thing again.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
o/0 said:
pinch flat?

So much koade, so little time! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrea138 said:
Life lesson: Always carry 2 tubes/CO2s

(duh)
Actually I usually do but I was looking for something in my "flat pack " as I call it and left one on the work bench at home. It wouldn't have done me any good this time though because I damaged the tire when I hit a rock causing the first flat. Lucky for the wife being home so she could come and rescue me or I would have been taking a loooong walk home.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Tubies rock.

Do you know how lovely it is, if you've flatted, to simply rip off the old, slap on the new and ride (OK no speeding around tight corners, please) peacefully away? Heaven.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Every day, EVERY day from May to August...

in the mornings around here, we get a not-too-strong wind from the east. I ride into on the way to work. It's not bad, just slows me down a little bit.
All day the air over the desert to the east heats up and rises, so about 12:30 or 1 p.m. the flow reverses. By the time I come home, there's a 20- to 35-mph headwind every day through late spring and most of the summer. I go in to work in 40-42 minutes and come home in 1:10-1:30, muttering, "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger..."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.