Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows about this talented climber? Talk about BAD LUCK in the TDF 05 ITT!
How many times did he crash? How about the team support?
Still...he finished with a time better than most of us!
If he polishes his TT strategies/techniques, and with no mishaps, he may be in the top 10 in this coming TDF 06. He is slim but has mean power and endurance, and viscious Ulrich-like tenacity.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
ru1-2cycle said:
Anyone knows about this talented climber? Talk about BAD LUCK in the TDF 05 ITT!
If he polishes his TT strategies/techniques, and with no mishaps, he may be in the top 10 in this coming TDF 06. He is slim but has mean power and endurance, and viscious Ulrich-like tenacity.
I would expect a worse performance than last year. He made most of his time in breaks. He will also be noticing, and suffering due to the lack of big mountains in this years tour. Expect Rabobank to work for Denis Menchov, as he has won a GT (sort of) and he can TT.

One could claim he had bad luck, but he also seems to be a bit of a head case. That cannot be remedied with a bike swap.

Silas

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
SilasCL said:
I would expect a worse performance than last year. He made most of his time in breaks. He will also be noticing, and suffering due to the lack of big mountains in this years tour. Expect Rabobank to work for Denis Menchov, as he has won a GT (sort of) and he can TT.

One could claim he had bad luck, but he also seems to be a bit of a head case. That cannot be remedied with a bike swap.

Silas
Yep, he was too nervous so he screwed up. About this coming season, he's a known factor now and he won't get the breaks he got last year. He will probably aim for a stage win in the TdF or one of the other GT's. He isn't GC material and never will be.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
he was a known factor the years before

but last year he intentionally lost GC time on a stage so he could go KOM. If he wants the KOM, he should sandbag an early TT so as not to be a GC threat.then he can take Mtn points. in 03 and 04,he was too close on GC to be let go. So my guess is he'll intentionally lose time somewhere so as not to be an overall threat and go KOM.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
as previous posters stated - he cracked psychologicaly.

that wasn't bad luck, it was a melt down.

plus he had Rabos support.

he won't get any gifts like he did in '05

ru1-2cycle said:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Whenever he broke away, he was in no threat to the GC. He's a great climber but once again, isn't able to TT well enough to place well in the GC. KOM will probably be his best bet and as long as he makes it known that KOM is his one goal, he should be able to get it ok.

And, just as everyone else is saying, the pressure got to him (Zabriske. Enough said), he knew it was just all or nothing and.. well.. as we all know, it didn't turn out so great. I'd be surprised to see him in the 06 TDF having spent substantial time TT'ng.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still remember this kid's tenacity. Lance, Ulrich, Basso stared at him in disbelief in the mountain stages, hard to shake him off. Here is an ex-mountain biker, "unknown" to me, and displaying courage, strength and panache climbing that reminds me of the great climbers of the past...I do not believe anyone anticipated this superb athlete from excelling like he did in the TDF 05. I remember the TT crashings, but what I remember the most is his HUNGRY WILL to SUCCEED.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts