Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
What the what???
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread in Hot Deals with the intent of gathering reviews of "inexpensive" components and accessories. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I thought I explained the basic set-up pretty well. The responses, though, have generally been a microcosm of Hot Deals itself with folks talking about who sells what cheap rather than sharing their experience with a particular item.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=220451

Is the thread just a bad idea or am I doing something wrong? What sayeth Da Lownje?

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Opus51569 said:
• 1 1/4 cups sugar
• 1 1/2 tsp. Morton Lite salt (less sodium but added potassium)
• 2 pkgs. unsweetened Kool-Aid (any flavor)
[Mix with 1 gal. of water or use 4 tbs. of dry mix in a 24 oz. water bottle] "Gatorade" for the budget-conscious
Needs beet juice.

·
What the what???
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I love about the lounge...simple...straightforward...helpful. :)

·
3,494 Posts
I appreciated the thought behind your thread but I think it was misguided. This web site is roadbikereview.com. The reviews should be submitted to the product review database, and not spread over random threads in the forums. I can see a thread containing recommendations of good value products, but the reviews themselves should be filed as reviews.

·
What the what???
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see your point. The rbr reviews, though, are more product specific. If I want to purchase product X, I can consult rbr and find reviews of it. With the thread, I was hoping to focus specifically on products in the lower end of the price spectrum. I guess if it had been successful, folks would have had to slog through reviews of products they weren't interested in to find the one that peaked their interest. The only way that would work is if it were a forum with individual threads dedicated to specific components and accessories, and that's not going to happen.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i used to use this one place for paper clips. but then they changed manufacturers and now they really suck. they say non-glide, but they are sliding all over my papers!

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Opus51569 said:
It seemed like a good idea at the time
Boy, if I had a nickel for every ... :p

I saw your thread, and thought about what I might contribute. Nothing leapt to mind but that just means that my mind was working about as sluggishly as usual, not that there was anything wrong with your thread concept.

Your signature block is a good example, I think, of the sort of thing you were/are looking for -- yes? And I know that you used the example of a mirror you bought at Wal-Mart. So maybe you should have structured it as a request for money-saving suggestions, as opposed to product reviews. Homemade sports drink mix? That would appeal to lots of penny-pinchers. Bike mirrors from Wally-World? I for one would never have thought to look there.

In other words, pretty much what ukbloke said.

And finally, in closing, this being Teh Lownge and all ... your saddle is too high, moreon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts