Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live /ride in the great white north and unless it's summer, I change my chains every 2,000 k's.
Cassettes 4000 or every other chain. Sram Red comp.'s with 6700 chain / cassette's.
Recent decision to see if I could stretch the chain 2500 k's cause slippage. Chain measured just over 1/16. Rotor Q-rings 53/39. Rings have approx. 5,500 k's and do not appear worn. Cassette was recently installed, the chain had 1500 k's on it at the time. I do ride more than one bike but generally commit a set of wheels (cassette) to each ride.
New chain, today. Slippage continues. 500 K's on cassette, rings appear good.
What I am I missing?....k, go

·
Registered
627 Posts
Shimano Hubs? Mavic Wheels? Did you forget the extra hub spacer ring to lock the cassette down?

Is there any play in the cassette? Lock ring installed correctly?

Did you bump the Rear Der. installing or removing the rear wheel? Check the alignment.

Check the cable tension make sure it is dialed in.

Correct chain Length?

Did you try greasing your headset?

That's all I got.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brand new chain- new cables-re-adjusted the der's again, still slips. 7800 hubs - slips on both 53 and 39, if I remember correctly mid cassette. I'm stumped. Cassette tight and locked in. On the bike stand the chain runs up / down the cassette with no issues, no rub on front der. either. I did install a 6700 b.b. instead of the Rotor (for the first time)could there be a width issue?
As for the headset......I what?

·
Registered
627 Posts
The Headset was a joke.

Check your jockey wheels, are they worn? Could be warn enough to be cause the chain to feed to the cassette poorly. ex. roller on the chain hitting the teeth of the cassette rather then the valleys.

Jockey wheels dirty/gunked up enough to not allow the chain to rest correctly on the jockey wheel causing a chain feeding error.

Also check your B-screw setting. Jockey wheel to close or to far causing a feeding problem?

I am assuming when you say "slippage" the chain is jumping forward teeth on the cassette causing a loss of power to the wheel and a popping noise. Not that the chain is trying to jump up or down a gear like a poorly tuned bike.

I do not see the BB causing a problem, unless there is play in the cranks. Even if the new BB was +/- 2mm how much is that going to effect your chain line. Less then one gear space on your cassette.

·
Registered
453 Posts
New chain rules out a chain problem.

Does it skip in only a specific gear (or gears) on your cassette?

Does it skip in only one chainwheel up front?

Have you verified that your derailleur hangar is straight and not bent?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Der's straight.
I believe it slips ( not jumping to the next cog, seems to miss a tooth for lack of a better term) only in the middle of the cassette.
Slips on both chain rings.
I like the head set comment, got a chuckle out of that one.
I'm wondering if it is the jockey wheels. All my shifter / der.'s are between 2008 and '10, 3 bikes, 10-12,000 k per year. It's difficult to tell which set up has the most k's on it because I change rides every couple years so each group has been swapped over at least once. Took a quick glance at the jockey wheels and they are certainly not new but do not appear to be worn down to a point either.
Still, this is now the frontrunner on my "wtf is going on back there"?

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Old chain could have been stretched. New chain might have a stiff link - e.g. check the pin that joined the chain. Shift to the smallest cog and watch the chain as it goes around that cog and see if any links do not conform properly to the radius. Also the 6700 chain is directional - did you put it on the right way?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
During the harsh months I change at 2,000 k's. Say Nov thru April. Winter trumps chain's every time.
Took the bike in today to let my LBS take a look. Turns out the der. hanger was twisted a touch. It was straight, aligned but somehow slightly twisted they said. We'll see if that fixed it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Der's straight.
I believe it slips ( not jumping to the next cog, seems to miss a tooth for lack of a better term) only in the middle of the cassette.
Slips on both chain rings.
Implies a worn cog (or cogs) in the cassette. Chain rings are probably fine.
Took the bike in today to let my LBS take a look. Turns out the der. hanger was twisted a touch. It was straight, aligned but somehow slightly twisted they said. We'll see if that fixed it.
Hope that fixes it. If not, try a new cassette per above.

Let us know. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.