Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Any ride...
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background: My 12 y.o. son has voiced interest in trying some cyclocross racing this year, coincidentally is due for a new bike (having outgrown a Trek MT220), and I'm looking for something that will serve as many purposes as possible. He's a good rider who has done a little mtb riding, has done significant portions of centuries (up to 80+ miles when on a tandem), etc. We're currently looking at getting him a Trek 7.3fx (essentially a road frame with straight bars, 11" clearance, rigid forks, double-wall rims, 24 speed, 25 lbs). He just fits a 17" frame, and isn't getting any shorter. He really doesn't want drop-style bars... yet.

I've heard that kids race on everything from bmx to true cx bikes, but I'd like to hear about viability of having him give it a go on a bike like this in some cx races. Of course, if he loves it, we'd eventually get him second-hand or mail-order cx bike. I'd appreciate input especially from anyone who has their kid(s) do some cx racing.

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
58 Posts
most of the CX races ive been to, kids have either been on their mountainbikes or cx bikes...but i do see alot of the motobecane fantom cx bikes, which are good values (now they have the dawes as well)

if he is more comfortable with straight bars, the hybrid might be a good idea, it should be able to handle anything a lightweight kid could throw at it with some cx tires.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Redline 24's

they are a VERY nice package for the kids. My daughter would be a great candidate, but unlike her father, she doesn't like Black/Red bikes. Redline definately needs to make a white version, to invite the young ladies-or even those who don't want the black.

I've seen them used on Ebay, for almost what my local shop quoted me for new.

Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
my kids started on Redline Conquest 24"s and the oldest has progressed to a conquest 44cm. With road tires they work pretty well on the road as well.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
24" wheeled CX bikes are too small for a 12 year old. My daughter races on a 47cm frame with 700c wheels.

Get a bike that fits now, not one that will fit in a year. You can save a bunch by buying used.

·
Any ride...
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input... I'd already rejected the 24" conquest as too small for him. I didn't realize that so many kids were riding serious cx bikes, but it sounds like he can try racing on this. If he likes it, I'll buy or build up a real cross bike that fits him, and upgrade frame size as needed.

Again, thanks to all who replied!

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts