Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I shamelessly copy/pasted this from Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary, so it's a certified Ultimate Truth ;) :

Lawyer Lips, Lawyer Tabs
Because some bicycle users are competent enough to remove their front wheels but not competent enough to secure them properly when they reinstall them, virtually all new bike purchasers have been deprived of the handy function of quick-release front wheels.

This has been done by encumbering fork ends with extra hardware, ridges or lumps that keep the wheel sort-of attached even if it has been installed by someone who doesn't know what he or she is doing. Unfortunately, this means that the quick-release mechanism must be re-adjusted each time it is used, seriously slowing down the operation.

Since this extra stuff was installed as a defense against frivolous lawsuits by ambulance-chasing shysters, the extra bumps are sometimes known as "lawyer lips" or "lawyer tabs."

·
Registered
376 Posts
Rogger beat me to it!

I love Sheldon's definition. Pretty much to the point.

I know several people who take a file and file off the raised edges to eliminate the issue. They used to bug me a lot more when I used a roof rack and had to take off the front wheel to transport the bike.

However, I now have a Jeep Wrangler with a spare tire carrier so I only remove the front wheel for maintenance, etc.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I took a file, then a Dremel to remove the lips on my forks. IMO, they were annoying as hell!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Alternate process

Mr. Versatile said:
I took a file, then a Dremel to remove the lips on my forks. IMO, they were annoying as hell!
For Al fork tips: 1) saw off the lip with a hacksaw, 2) dress to a nice finish with a small, fine file.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts