Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding "Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6" all this while and its been a good exp till date but now as I am moving to a new place I'll be riding on Unpaved roads & some rough surfaces all the way to office. So I wanted to know what are the chances of the tires of my Cannondale being ripped! I've just spent few bucks in replacing them and I cannot afford to do it quite often. Any help would be appreciated !

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What kind of tires do you have now? You could use some gatorskins from Continental or Armadillos form Specialized, these are both very tough tires. Run a larger size, at least a 25c, or a 28 if they'll fit, and you should be OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have ridden dirt roads with 259 armadillos. I think your rims might suffer more than the armadillos. Mabey a nice hybrid bike for commuting?

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
MTB just for unpaved roads is a bit overkill IMO (unless you actually ride mountain bike trails), it might also be a bit undergeared. I too would suggest tougher, bigger tires if it fits... Otherwise, a cross bike would be great.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can probably get an entry level mtb cheaper than rims and tires. You could also take it on trails if you want to. You're not going to lose a lot of speed considering that you'll have to slow way down with your road bike on these unpaved surfaces. Hybrids aren't great at anything, and would cost more than the mtb. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts