Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you dealing with this economy, cutting back on, etc....? I just got back from the grocery store, I swear prices go up every week, a substantial increase.

We're not eating out as much, maybe once or twice a month, instead of every week. Not buying alot of items unless there on sale. Making alot of soups, stews instead of buying can soups. Taking coffee with me instead of stopping and buying coffee.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
I've decided to start cutting back on shaving & haircuts. I'm also going to start commuting on my motorcycle full time again.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
paid off credit card bills.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sold my car to ride my bike full time and had my cable downsized to basic and cook most of the time.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
haven't had to cut back on anything... I am going to make more this year than I did last year.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I haven't had to cut down on anything, but I'm cooking more and going out less.

Mainly because toddler+restaurant=massive fail.

I do find myself looking at money a little differently- we've got the money to remodel the kitchen, but are holding off until the economy improves a bit- right now I'd rather have that money in reserve than in a new refrigerator.

edit: I'm also looking at where I spend my money- as much as possible, I'm spending local.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
lot8con8 said:
Watching the media; those guys a like a pill of depression.
Seriously---- how much is the media contributing to the issue?

As for us, we are increasing our spending. Lots of good deals out there right now.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
buck-50 said:
I do find myself looking at money a little differently- we've got the money to remodel the kitchen, but are holding off until the economy improves a bit- right now I'd rather have that money in reserve than in a new refrigerator.

edit: I'm also looking at where I spend my money- as much as possible, I'm spending local.
if the economy stays like this, you'll get some awesome deals to workers remodelling your house.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
buck-50 said:
yes. i have seen my two favorite cafes shutter this past summer/winter. when we go out to eat we usually go to a non-chain. i am now almost demanding it.
i am also buying less online and in the actual stores. this helps, too.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
We don't have a choice, the wife is self employed as a faux paint and mural artist. Just no work for her so we had to cut back. Overall it has been a good thing, she's happier as a 'housewife' and we've learned to live within our means better than before. Even with the lower income we've paid of the Credit cards and are saving more than we ever have. We still have some play money but we don't throw it away like before.

We don't eat out as much and we're camping more instead of getting rooms when we go to rides etc. That has really been a lot of fun. We have also saved a bunch on cycling gear since we have our bikes well outfitted and they don't need much more than normal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Cutting back on some things, spending more on others.

Most of the cuts I have made have been at the office rather than home. Although my firm has not been impacted like some law firms have, we have seen some downturn and clients really are watching their legal spending. I have cut about $1000 worth of publications that usually went unread and/or were available online. We also gave up some office space that was going to be used for future expansion. Insofar as our staff expenses are concerned, we have not made any cuts, but we are watching things like overtime and other "extras."

I have spent some money on things that were well priced because of overstocks -- like a new pair of boots and some things for the house. I also have begun tipping more generously at some places that I patronize and like that seem to be suffering.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
H&B. Duh.

I hope to be able to eliminate the diaper expense completely, but the way my son is going, he'll be pooping his pants until he's 8.

Actually, I'm about to dump a bunch of money into a CD to actually earn some interest. Although I'm tempted to by some SPY or QQQ. A 20% gain is almost a no-brainer at this point.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Actually, I'm about to dump a bunch of money into a CD to actually earn some interest. Although I'm tempted to by some SPY or QQQ. A 20% gain is almost a no-brainer at this point.
I'm kinda in the same boat. Wifey and I have always been frugal by nature and love cooking at home so we haven't made any changes to our lifestyle as a result of the recent downturn.

That said, I've been thinking that now is a great time to get into investments other than my 401k. I have an MF and some stock picked out that I want to buy but I'm a little hesitant to give up the liquidity that I have right now.

I may also speed up my plans to have a new sidewalk poured at my house.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is an interesting question. Honestly, I can't say that we are doing all much, other than FOLLOWING THROUGH with plans to pay things off. In the past, we've had good intentions, but just kept using the cash for something other than paying off the car early, or paying off a student loan early.

Next month, I write the payoff for my student loan, and I write the payoff for my smallest credit card debt. I still owe too much on other cards, at reasonably low rates, but that is why we are putting off buying another car until we are out from some of it.

I do think the media is making this thing out far worse. How many news channels are there on cable/satellite now? Like 50? The only broadcasting with more channels is 1)shopping, 2)hispanic entertainment :D .

1 - 20 of 69 Posts