Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
You'll find a lot more discussion over on BROL. To call the Bacchetta Aero the best recumbent on the market is a gross oversimplification. It IS fast and fairly light for a recumbent and a team of them did quite will in RAAM2005.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Turn back....

don't do it..

Unless you have a beard, smoke a pipe and teach Physics somewhere. If so, it is only a matter of time...

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
BATMAN said:
Supposedly this is the best one on the market:

Bacchetta Bicycles Aero

22lbs.

Titanium

Almost $4000
Yeah, they look pretty fast--on Saturday I re-passed a couple of them that had blown by me on the flats, as soon as we hit a mild grade.

·
9,416 Posts
BATMAN said:
So they are better on the flats, but suck uphill?
That's my understanding, and what I've seen, but that don't necessarily make it accurate.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I was a kid growing up in Southwest Missouri, a friend and fellow cyclist that I rode with had a step-father who would take old steel bicycles and turn them into recumbents. They rode suprisingly nice too. The basic design was the handlebars were located underneath your legs. They would let me take one out occasionally, and I would go forty or fifty miles on it. Wouldn't join the recumbent crowd, but it was fun for the day. My biggest concern was being seen.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
I have a buddy with a Rans tandem bent, and a single that is a close competitor to the Bachetta. He tested both and picked the "-------" I can't remember the name. Dang it. From where i sit they are weird to ride and a bit more of a pain to work on. I have ridden both of his. Not far but far enough for me. He swears by the bent. No beard, not a hippie, but he is an engineer. He rides the tandem in spud sandals, so he shares some genetic characteristics of the stereotypical bent rider.

His other is a Volae Team with dual discs. About 25 lbs on my elbow scale.

·
9,416 Posts
The way I figure it, if you're riding for fitness, you shouldn't be on a bent, because they're too efficient.

It's supposed to be hard work cycling, or you're not getting anything out of it.

For touring, maybe. If you can ride around the hills.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Get a load of those ape hangers. Looks like you might have to switch your lycra with black leather. A big beard wouldn't hurt either.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
Great if you're fat, old, or a geek with a bad back.....Pocket protectors are optional.
As long as you're at it, why not put on one of those fairings.
Sometimes, I just can't help myself.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
two things you'll need

You'll need to grow a beard and you'll have to upgrade your shoes to Birkenstocks. I'm not sure if Birkenstock offers a clipless pedal yet.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
Everybody is making fun of beards, but beards actually have gyroscopic properties and are quite helpful when balancing a bent.

·
Registered
343 Posts
NOOO!!!! even better than fareings are those body socks, oh i so need to find a picture of one, they are like a giant spandex tarp with a hole for your head, that snaps to the fareing of the bent. The best part is when the riders knees push it up as they ride. I nearly fell off my bike laughing at the guy riding one with an 80s early 90s print on it. his long beard fluttering int the breeze.... wooo hooo so funny.

·
Registered
33 Posts
is this a joke? Who would pay $4000 for that monstrosity? sure you might move fast on flats, but you'll look damn ridiculous doing it.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
There are two basic statements about choosing recumbents. And they're gender specific.

-A man may decide to ride a recumbent on the day he realizes he's at a point in his life where he needs a bra with a B-cup or larger.

-A woman would know better than to ride one at all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts