Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what bar are you using on your fixie, and why?

i've tried:

track bar. was heavy, and too deep for comfort on long bike rides. looks good though.

flat bar. its fun for noodling around and doing tricks, but just doesn't do it for me on longer rides. i feel like an old guy on a hybrid.

putting together a new bike soon, and i'm still deciding on the front end.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Go with the regular road bar

I have just a regular easton road bar on mine, and I fell pretty comfortable on those long rides. But in all honesty I think that the coolest bars are Deda track bars, but only if you are running no brakes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
On my Pista I used a Profile bullhorn bar, which was okay, but I found myself wanting to ride in the flats sometimes, and they are very short. Not a bad bar though; I mounted the brake lever in reverse on the forward part of the left "horn."

On my Steamroller I've mounted an On-One Mungo bar, and I can't say enough good things about it. Several hand positions (although they're only subtly different), great climbing leverage, and a decidedly retro look. Moustache bars aren't for everyone, but I like these much better than the traditional Nittos. They also make the Midge, which is a shallow-drop bar more intended (I gather) for cyclocross, but it's reportedly versatile.

Take a look: http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...ser_op=view_page&PAGE_id=8&MMN_position=11:11

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Cineli deep drop with clip-on aero bars, moustache

I'm used to the Cinelli 66-44's so they feel right. I like having aero-bars for windy days and strapping on stuff like lights and a little knap sack.

I have moustache bars on my utility bike, but only find them useful for about 40 minutes. I'm told they would feel better if I raised them, but haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
olds_cool said:
what bar are you using on your fixie, and why?
I like bullhorns. I can ride the equivalent of the tops and the hoods, which are both very comfortable positions, and all I loose is the drop position, which I don't use that much when I do have it, and would never use on my commute, which is what the fixie is for.

Gordon

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i've been all over looking at pics....

Thommy said:
Both carry nice bars on their websites.

but i am curious as to why people use what they do on a fixed gear in particular.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bullhorns for me

olds_cool said:
what bar are you using on your fixie, and why? QUOTE]

I like the bullhorns I have on my Surly CrossCheck. I had tried the bullhorns that drop but replaced them with flat bullhorns. The dropbars eliminate the flat inside position where I have cross levers mounted to control the brakes.

I like the stretched out position on the abullhorn extensions, but drops are uncomfortable for any length of time on a fixe IMO.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Bull horns are hands down the most useful bar for general fixed gear riding. My Deda Pista Newton track bars aren't the best street riding, they look awesome on the bike but are not too comfortable in any position other than sprint position in the drops.

I have two sets of Syntace bullhorns, one for the street riding on the track bike and one set on my commuter. They give you a nice amount of leverage for mashing up hills if you are so geared.

I had a set of road drops on my commuter but without brake hoods to sit your hands on, it's hard to get far out on the tops of the bars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I switched to bullhorns too early last year for more upright hand positions. My fixie is primarily for commuting, so I really don't need drops. However, I am contemplating getting a regular road bar because my fixie is pretty much my main ride. I'm choosing a regular road bar over the track bar so that I can have a wider bar with more flat handlebar area on the top....the track bar I have is kinda narrow. If I get the road bar, I will get one without anatomical drops...purely for aesthetic reasons.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I use a Nitto track bar. Spite the fact I dont hardly ever get on the velodrome. I dont mind the drop in it and I prefer the strenth and stiffness the steel has over a conventional road bar while im sprinting up a hill or trying to haul down.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Salsa Bell Laps.

I like the flared drops. Very comfortable when climbing or sprinting for stop and rocking side to side in the drops. Lets you be sloppy and not hit the flats.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
goes to show there is no correct answer, i guess....

thanks all, for your imput. swapped an old schwinn travler frame for a new set of flat bullhorns last night. i guess i'll try em' and see if i like them. beats dropping a bunch of cash at the store for some without knowing if i like them.

if that doesn't fit the bill, i figure i'll take the deda 215's of the road bike and use those. they look sorta....um....pista lite, at least.

for you bullhorn users.....same stem length as normal?

·
Registered
88 Posts
olds_cool said:
for you bullhorn users.....same stem length as normal?
I am going to get a shorter stem to be less stretched foward on the horns...I just haven't got around to doing it yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stem police are gonna get you!!!!!

cmatcan said:

why? extended happy hour....duhhhh

dude, your bar is way higher than your seat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm only posting this because I just took the picture today and needed somewhere to publish it. So here's my rationale for the moustache bars -- sweet!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice....

fixintogo said:
I'm only posting this because I just took the picture today and needed somewhere to publish it. So here's my rationale for the moustache bars -- sweet!
those bars do look good on your rig. the whole retro thing looks really nice on the surly for some reason.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nice build on the surly cc.

Ken2 said:
olds_cool said:
what bar are you using on your fixie, and why? QUOTE]

I like the bullhorns I have on my Surly CrossCheck. I had tried the bullhorns that drop but replaced them with flat bullhorns. The dropbars eliminate the flat inside position where I have cross levers mounted to control the brakes.

I like the stretched out position on the abullhorn extensions, but drops are uncomfortable for any length of time on a fixe IMO.
never saw bullhorns on a cross bike before.....looks like a good fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drop bars... flipped and chopped.

Why? They were free (the bike came with drop bars), they don't stretch me out too much, they are nice and narrow for street riding, and (for me) they're more comfortable than regular drops.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts