Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Roubaix Triple Elite and I was wondering what my next bike would be. I'm almost 69 years old so I know I don't need a race bike, but I was wondering what bike would be comparable to the Roubaix. Do you think I should just go up the line of Roubaix or look for some other road bike.
If I was to go to another brand, I don't want a Cannondale or Giant or Trek. I would probably look at the Look or the Cevelo, or Scott, something in that line of bike, if you know what I mean. Something different than the big four. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the big four, just thought I would try something different.
I was also wondering if Specialized let's you trade up from your bike to a better one. Anyhow that's what I'm thinking about right now. I do love my Roubaix, but I'm just putting feelers out.Thanks for any replies.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Style or substance?

George M said:
I have a 2007 Roubaix Triple Elite and I was wondering what my next bike would be. I'm almost 69 years old so I know I don't need a race bike, but I was wondering what bike would be comparable to the Roubaix. Do you think I should just go up the line of Roubaix or look for some other road bike.
If I was to go to another brand, I don't want a Cannondale or Giant or Trek. I would probably look at the Look or the Cevelo, or Scott, something in that line of bike, if you know what I mean. Something different than the big four. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the big four, just thought I would try something different.
I was also wondering if Specialized let's you trade up from your bike to a better one. Anyhow that's what I'm thinking about right now. I do love my Roubaix, but I'm just putting feelers out.Thanks for any replies.
Not trying to make your post about me, but for illustrative purposes only, when I was in the market for a new ride, I thought a lot about what I liked about my current bike and what I didn't. As it turned out, I liked a lot about it and (other than it rusting and I crashed) there wasn't much I didn't like.

I'd suggest you do similar. Think about the things you like and would like to keep and what you'd just as soon be rid of, if any. Riding position, handling, etc. You say you love the Roubaix, then mention three other brands that, while still in the mainstream, are a little less so, so maybe a sense of style is playing into this.

If you want to really move into a more exclusive area, consider going custom steel. Depending on the brand, you may never see another and that's not such a bad thing.

BTW, kudo's to you for riding through your 60's. I'm 57 and plan on doing the same! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply PJ352. I guess I'm always looking for something better than what I have. I think I really lucked out getting this bike. My other bike is a Jamis Coda converted to a touring bike and I like that one, but not as much as the Roubaix. When I talked to the LBS they said to move up to the Expert or the Comp when ready, but I don't know if I would gain that much. That's probably what motivated me to post about comparisons. Thanks again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i dont really think there is another bike like the roubaix, its pretty unique, if its not broke why fix it, the new 09 roubaix expert is amazing

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Roubaix are great bikes.

Other bikes with a more relaxed geometry similar to the Roubaix would be:

Cervelo RS
Felt Z series
Bianchi C2C

Obviously, only a good test ride will tell you how these bikes will fit you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts