Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm building up my new(used) cannondale 3.0 with as much campy as possible (mostly taken from my ciocc) and I was wondering if one wanted to be as gung-ho campy as possible, what parts/components/whatever goes into building up a bike would it not be possibly to use campy(referring to the history of campy, not just currently available stuff).

Here's what I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Stem
2. Handlebars.
3. Bar tape/end plugs.
4. Clincher tires/tubes/ rim strip tape
5. Tubular Tires.
6. Spokes/Nipples
7. Saddle
8. Chain?

am I incorrect in any of the above/is there anything I'm missing?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
so I'm building up my new(used) cannondale 3.0 with as much campy as possible (mostly taken from my ciocc) and I was wondering if one wanted to be as gung-ho campy as possible, what parts/components/whatever goes into building up a bike would it not be possibly to use campy(referring to the history of campy, not just currently available stuff).

1. Stem
2. Handlebars.
3. Bar tape/end plugs.
5. Tubular Tires.
6. Spokes/Nipples
7. Saddle
8. Chain?

prob not made by Campy, but can be had... Campy makes chains, and if you get a pre-built wheel you get Campy spokes and nips

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:

1. Stem
2. Handlebars.
3. Bar tape/end plugs.
5. Tubular Tires.
6. Spokes/Nipples
7. Saddle
8. Chain?

Frame and fork?

·
Registered
919 Posts
FatTireFred said:
prob not made by Campy, but can be had... Campy makes chains, and if you get a pre-built wheel you get Campy spokes and nips
I seem to remember seeing that the spokes on a Proton wheel are made by Sapim. I doubt Campy bothers to make spokes, unless they are something really unusual... same with chains, etc.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Kickstands?
Basket for the handlebars?
Banana seats?
Shift lever topped with an 8 ball?
Leather riding chaps?
Fishing reels.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
jmoryl said:
I seem to remember seeing that the spokes on a Proton wheel are made by Sapim. I doubt Campy bothers to make spokes, unless they are something really unusual... same with chains, etc.

Well I guess it depends on the fine line of make/mfger vs. market. Campy certainly doesn't make their own clothes either, yet has a line. I was thinking of the straight pull wheels with the "nipples" in the rim... if those doesn't count then likely neither would cables, housing, chain, etc. or anything not made in Vincenza but adorned the the Campy name.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Campagnol frame parts

FTF said:
Frame and fork?
They haven't made complete frames, but they have made frame parts. In particular, they made forged steel drop-outs and shifter bosses, and I think they have made front derailleur tabs and cable guides as well (they certainly have made clamp-on derailleur tabs and cable guides, anyway).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't forget the Electa saddle

Friction_Shifter said:

1. Stem
2. Handlebars.
3. Bar tape/end plugs.
5. Tubular Tires.
6. Spokes/Nipples
7. Saddle
8. Chain?

Campagnolo made a saddle, the Electa, back around 1990. It weighed a ton, and had an inflatable air bladder under the leather. It has a tina presta valve under the nose of the saddle, and came with a rubber bulb to inflate it to your comfort. They still pop up occasionally on e-bay. I had one on my (of all things) MTB, but the first time I crashed and scratched the leather I took it off. IIRC the saddle was something like $150 15 years ago, and I couldn't see chewing it up. It's sat in the OEM box in my garage ever since.

I should take it to a shoe repair shop, polish it up, and mount it on one of my classic steel frames. That should be a real conversation item.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like my inflatable Raichle ski boots I had in about 1987. They kept popping. At the time my brother was dating the daughter of the owner of the local ski shop. He was always telling me "Al had your boots in his bathtub last night looking for the leak"

·
Registered
131 Posts
The idea is even older

Friction_Shifter said:
sounds like my inflatable Raichle ski boots I had in about 1987. They kept popping. At the time my brother was dating the daughter of the owner of the local ski shop. He was always telling me "Al had your boots in his bathtub last night looking for the leak"
Back in about '74 Head sold a race boot with an inflatable air bladder. It came with a little pump that looked just like a modern mini tire pump, except in a much smaller diameter. It actually looked like a mini mini Silca frame pump, which you will NEED to get if you're going to make your bike period-correct. (No CO2 inflaters back in the day.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.