Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals from Texas. I have recently gotten 4 other friend to purchase road bikes in the past week(the lbs owes me some discounts) and I have at least one more getting a bike within the month.

With all these people a 2x4 with a fork hitch in the bed of my truck isn't cutting it anymore. I need something to hold the 4 bike preferably so we can lessen the vehicles we have to take.

What are some good cheap 4 bike mounts for a truck bed or trailer hitch...which is better?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
What wrong with another 2x4? I assume you are unable to fit four bikes across the front of the bed. Set up another 2x4 with two additional fork mounts. Two bikes face forward while two bikes fit rearward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I could do that. My only problem with them is they slide everywhere I need to find something like a really sticky rubber to put on the bottom.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Cut the 2x4's to length so they fit tight across the bed, or cut some others to fill in the length between the 2x4's with the mounts on them (forms a nice square) Shouldn't slide around then.

I went for the fiberglass tonneau cover with a Yakima rack mounted to the top of it. I've carried as many as 5 bikes without a problem and had room in the bed for all the gear. Not cheap, but it works great. Fair warning, if you end up doing this option, you are always "volunteered" to drive everywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can make something like this:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=1120&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=71&subcategory=1178&sku=1120&brand=

for about $30. Get some steel pipe and have them threaded into each other 4-6 inches. Cut the ends so it fits the width of the inside if your truck bed. Get some of the big rubber replacement feet they make for ladders and attach them to the ends so you dont mess up the paint in your bed. Then you can unscrew the threaded part to keep it tight in the truck. I just weleded some fork mounts to mine and painted it up the same color as my truck. if you dont have access to a welder you can either bolt the fork mounts to the pipe or get some small U bolts to hold them on.

Very cool product, but not at $150 for a shower curtain bar with a couple fork mounts on it.

-Matt

·
Registered
499 Posts
My truck bed has slots that hold 2x4s in place. Does your's not have that.

You could also bolt the fork mounts directly to the truck bed as a last resort. I bolted mine to my truck box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
toss the 2x4 and get this...

I've built about every type of rack you can imagine from wood. I've driven my retired step-father crazy having him weld hitch and bed racks for me too. All this in the name of saving a few bucks. After a lot of trial and error, of which I still have most of in the garage, I purchaced a removable bed mount rack from Performance. After its paint started flaking I sent it back and paid a little more for a Saris "Kool Rack". It started off as a load saver for trailers and I still use mine for that sometimes.

http://www.graberproducts.com/products/koolrack.htm

I have never wanted any other type of rack for my truck since getting mine. It only comes with 2 fork mounts, but extras sell for $25 or so. You can position the mounts on any 3 sides to make room for 4-5 bikes. It has a hydraulic piston that presses against the bed's inner walls to hold it secure. After a few years the piston started weakening and they sent one right away. They won't send repair instructions for it though...you have to call them on the phone and they walk you through it step by step. Good customer service and a great product. You can find it at alot of bike shops too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts