Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m helping my father-in-law configure and buy a new road bike and I’m looking for suggestions for bikes he should consider, as well as competitively priced sources for the bike.

Here’s the information I can give you:

- Budget is $1000 to $1500 for the completed bike, but before accessories & clothing

The general philosophy here is to buy a bike that isn’t intimidating, but is good enough that his efforts will be rewarded – that is, once he gets in shape and puts more miles in, the bike shouldn’t end up being a hindrance to that.

- In terms of specific goals, he wants to work up to riding around Lake Tahoe (72 miles with moderate elevation gains). So let’s say that this bike should be suitable for non-competitive century rides for a recreational cyclist.

- He’s 65, he’s active, but hasn’t had a steady exercise program recently. Mostly office work recently, and flexibility (at least at first) is likely a challenge.

- He's of average height, inseam, etc, so there won't be any odd frame/stem/etc sizing requirements.

- He’s not looking for a race bike – he is looking for something that’s reasonably comfortable – so comfort counts more than low weight & race-able performance.

- He’s done some test riding and LBS visits, and here’s some initial feed-back I’ve gotten:
-- Basic configuration will be a road bike, but he’s likely to replace the bars with straight bars.
-- He likes the idea of “cyclo cross” style tires – I believe he perceives he’d like the slightly bigger tires for added “stability,” but from a pure physics point of view, I believe standard 700x23 tires will give greater stability for road riding (due to the lower moment of inertia). If you have thoughts on this, I’d be interested to hear them. If he really does want cyclo-cross tires, I’m assuming we’d need a frame that has cantilever brake posts.
-- He wants a triple.
-- He liked the Specialized Allez Elite Triple (msrp of about $1500), though I’m
not sure he’s test ridden it yet.

- I'm hoping to fit Shimano 105/Ultegra grade components into this budget.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How about a steel LeMond?

Check out the steel LeMonds in that range - Croix de Fer ($1200, 105/Ultegra) and Sarthe ($1500, Ultegra). Meets all your criteria. 25c tires might be a good option for getting a little more comfort but still being on actual road tires.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Couple of thoughts

It sounds like he's looking for something with a little more upright position than the typical race-bike design. Several companies now offer models, such as the Specialized mentioned above, that are designed with that kind of riding in mind. Trek, Giant, and I'm sure some others have their versions, some in Aluminum or Al with Carbon stays, some in all carbon, across a wide range of components and prices. He might want to give one of those a try. Drop bars give you more options for hand positions, which can keep you more comfortable on a long ride. If the bike is designed for an upright position, drop bars might be more comfotable for him than flat bars, which limit hand positions more.

If he does want flat bars, you might look at models that come that way. Most of the big-name companies offer flat-bar road bikes these days. Getting one that's set up that way from the start will cost a lot less than converting a drop-bar model to flat bar.

Cyclocross tires are, in my opinion, wider than needed for riding on pavement. I like the idea of wider tires though, and would recommend a bike that will take at least 25 or 28mm tires for older, non-competitive riders. Smoother ride with very little change in rolling resistance or speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trek Pilot has a few versions with flat bars on them. Also i looked at some Felt Bikes this weekend and a couple of them had both road style brakes/shifters but had an additional brake lever on the "flat" part of the road bars...sorry just getting into this and don't know all the correct terms...but since i am basicly a similar price range thought i would post up what i had found.

Stew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts