Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me what kind/brand of bottom bracket this is, and what tools I need to remove it ? This is an early-90s Merlin X-Light.

Thanks!

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Not sure of the particulars, but it looks like snapring pliers are needed to get that snapring out. The rest of the unit (or perhaps just the bearing) probably slides out, then.

·
Registered
505 Posts
proprietary merlin press-fit.

remove the snap ring and screw a crank fixing bolt deep into the opposite side of the spindle, then bang on that. should knock the bearing out. that's the easy part. cartridge bearings are not serviceable, so you'll need to source replacements. then you'll need a press to put them back in. i'd leave this to a well-equipped shop.

but never mind all that...

see the 'grease guard' sticker? you should find a grease nipple on the underside of the BB shell. start there before pulling anything apart! you can just inject grease and it forces it's way through the bearings from the inside out. lots of dirty crud will come out around the blue seals. keep putting in fresh grease until it comes out clean.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have had excellent luck replacing and upgrading sealed bearings from VXB Ball Bearings.com

LINK to VXB

If you can remove the snap ring and measure the bearing, I'm sure you can find a replacement at VXB.
Prices seem reasonable, and delivery service was terrific.
I replaced the sealed bearings in an old Hi-E Hub with S/S Ceramic sealed bearings and it is smooth as new.
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its Called a Fisher Bottom Bracker, Designed for Tandems originally. Remove Snap rings, And Push out bearings. Take care of both the snap rings and old bearings. Use the code to find the proper size. Good Luck finding those bearings

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 1992 Merlin with the same B.B. Merlin makes a tool for B.B. removal and service. Find a Merlin dealer in your area whos been in business long enough to stock this tool and have him service it for you.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
SpokesCA said:
Its Called a Fisher Bottom Bracker, Designed for Tandems originally. Remove Snap rings, And Push out bearings. Take care of both the snap rings and old bearings. Use the code to find the proper size. Good Luck finding those bearings
Phil Wood sells the bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.