Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
tdiclub Member
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's out there right now?
mavic reflex...
ambrosio crono...
FiR something...
Sun M19A11...
Velocity elites...(I can find these anywhere)
others...?
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
kannas said:
what's out there right now?
mavic reflex...
ambrosio crono...
FiR something...
Sun M19A11...
Velocity elites...(I can find these anywhere)
others...?
FIR ST 120, out of business so very limited quantities.
Sun M19IIA crap (you can find them on ebay)
Velocity Escape available (I can get them)
Velocity Pro Elite is the 30mm tubular. The clincher version is the Deep V (I can get these too) very P-R
Ambrosio Chrono, lightest of the group and not very P-R
Ambrosio Nemesis, better bet for P-R
Mavic Reflex, good stuff and easy to get

-Eric
 

·
tdiclub Member
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
second question, true weight...

Of the wheels listed what would build a good mix or lightweight and durrability?
The I have reseasrched the ambrosio cronos and FiR isidis regarding weight, they are claimed 340 and 330g, but can range to 400g. Why such a measurable difference.

Also any luck with the alex 1.0 tubular?

I am looking for a lightweight training/ racing tubular wheelset, hopefull to be sub 1400g w/ nice tune or FRM hubs. I weigh 140 and am not rough on my equipment. Included in the training/racing is a full season of cycloross.

I allready own cane creek aros tubs, cxp33 record tubs, campy moskva chorus, 2 open pro rear wheels and a proton front. My plan is to clear out some of the clinchers and or cxp33's to offset the build price of new lighter weight training wheels. If I can lose a pound off my wheels and have it cost $200- 300, I'd be happy.

So the velocity elite are the same deep V depth design but a tubular version?

Thanks for your replies.
 

·
Every little counts...
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
I think this is about Paris-Roubaix? No velocity or cane creek products there.

Ambrosio Nemesis (Ballan, Domo, Quickstep)
Fir (Rabobank)
Mavic SSC: out of production, but they're stockpiled in northern France and Belgium for this purpose

There was an interview with a QS wrench where they said no 'V' rims, only box sections.

Check cyclingnews.com>tech>Boonen's Time VXS special
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Spunout said:
I think this is about Paris-Roubaix? No velocity or cane creek products there.

Ambrosio Nemesis (Ballan, Domo, Quickstep)
Fir (Rabobank)
Mavic SSC: out of production, but they're stockpiled in northern France and Belgium for this purpose

There was an interview with a QS wrench where they said no 'V' rims, only box sections.

Check cyclingnews.com>tech>Boonen's Time VXS special
The 25mm tires went a long way to making the ride better on the cobbles. The V rim isn't the issue regardless of what he says. Let Alain make nice frames and let the wheel makers (and proven studies) do their thing.

The only reason Velocity wasn't at the Queen of the Classics was because they don't sponsor any teams there. It doesn't reflect in any way on their ability to make top level rims.
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
kannas said:
Of the wheels listed what would build a good mix or lightweight and durrability?
The I have reseasrched the ambrosio cronos and FiR isidis regarding weight, they are claimed 340 and 330g, but can range to 400g. Why such a measurable difference.

Also any luck with the alex 1.0 tubular?

I am looking for a lightweight training/ racing tubular wheelset, hopefull to be sub 1400g w/ nice tune or FRM hubs. I weigh 140 and am not rough on my equipment. Included in the training/racing is a full season of cycloross.

I allready own cane creek aros tubs, cxp33 record tubs, campy moskva chorus, 2 open pro rear wheels and a proton front. My plan is to clear out some of the clinchers and or cxp33's to offset the build price of new lighter weight training wheels. If I can lose a pound off my wheels and have it cost $200- 300, I'd be happy.

So the velocity elite are the same deep V depth design but a tubular version?

Thanks for your replies.

Escapes are about 410g (just weighed a pair right now). If you want more actual weights, check this place out.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

-Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
<img src='https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/roubaix06/roubaix_bikes3/IMG_0075.jpg'>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,525 Posts
Weight differences

kannas said:
The I have reseasrched the ambrosio cronos and FiR isidis regarding weight, they are claimed 340 and 330g, but can range to 400g. Why such a measurable difference?
It's called extrusion die wear. As more and more miles of rim profile are extruded, the dies wear and get larger, therefore the rim is thicker and weighs more. As an example, the last Velocity Aerohead rim I got was 448 gm, with an advertised weight of 410 gm. However, the last two Velocity Aerohead OC rims were 400 and 403 gm, still with an advertised weight of 410 gm. Some have reported that Velocity plans to replace the dies for the Aerohead this year, so I expect the weights will drop down to that of the OC, which is a relatively new rim and so has not had time to wear the die out.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top