·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
atpjunkie said:
they will work okay
I've never rode Mr Grumpy brakes but a buddy had them
he was okay with their performance but not raving
groovy, thanks for the info. currently debating whether or not to keep them. just picked up the bike this past Saturday (and was away) so haven't had time to really research anything on the bike. prefer the low profile cantilevers, so these might go in the parts bin....

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
misterdangerpants said:
did you like them? how was the performance?
they were on my first 'cross bike... and I remember thinking how much cross brakes suck compared to my mnt bike.

I ended up selling them... but to be honest, I think they were about the same as every other cantilever brake.

I personally wouldn't pay $180 for them, when there are other options for a fraction of the cost, that deliver the same "performance"

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
m_s said:
What's the bike?
unclefuzzy_ss said:
No kidding! Can't do something like this and *not* poast pictures of the complete!
Geeeeeeeeeez, okay already! :D

Here are a few the original owner recently took:

View attachment 180322

View attachment 180323

View attachment 180324

Here are the specs:

Frame: 1997 Rhygin Metax Cyclocross (55.5cm)
Fork: Steelman
Groupset (crankset, cassette, controls, derailleurs, hubs, bottom bracket): Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed
Rims: FiR Net 97. Wheels hand-built at Baystate Wheel Company.
Handlebars: 3TTT Forma
Stem: Profile
Headset: Chris King
Brakes: SRP Mr. Grumpy's
Saddle: Selle San Marco Squadra M HDP
Seat Post: Some sort of shock absorber thingy.
Weight: Currently, I have no idea
Place of Origin: Boston, MA. Bike was assembled at Fat Dog in Westwood, MA.

Again, this bike is NOS. Never ridden, aside from the test ride back in 1997 or so. It's quite stunning. Debating slapping on the SRAM Rival CX groupset I won a couple of weeks ago at a raffle. Stem and seat post will be Black Sheep titanium (they were due on 9/20 along with a titanium fork for my road bike; hopefully soon). Saddle will be a near-NOS 1992 Selle Italia Flite I have hanging around. Bars will be FSA Omega Compact or Wing Pro. Anyway, more later....

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
unclefuzzy_ss said:
most definitely put the SRAM on! Nevar ridden? Really? Seriously NICE find. Love the pump peg. Modern minimalism at its best. Good luck on getting the BlackSheep stuff. I've heard horror stories lately...
Thanks! So, I actually didn't find this bike, it found me. The owner's wife did a Google search on Rhygin and my 2009 CycleKids marathon blog came up (where I mentioned my 1994 Rhygin Ra), and she wrote me about the bike. Initially, I wasn't interested, but after communicating over a 2 month period, they significantly reduced the price and I became the new owner. :thumbsup:

Definitely leaning towards the SRAM Rival as, well, it was free! And that is correct, it was never ridden. There is no wear whatsoever on any of the parts. Yeah, the pump peg is cool too. :)

James @ Black Sheep has always come through. I would have had all of the items earlier there was a delay with the steerer stock, though that was back on 9/22 (and it was due on 9/20). Crossing my fingers....

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
argylesocks said:
they were on my first 'cross bike... and I remember thinking how much cross brakes suck compared to my mnt bike.

I ended up selling them... but to be honest, I think they were about the same as every other cantilever brake.

I personally wouldn't pay $180 for them, when there are other options for a fraction of the cost, that deliver the same "performance"
Thanks for the information. I don't think I'd pay $180 as they're just not my cup of tea (i.e. kinda ugly). I have a set of M900 XTR cantilevers (1992) I'm thinking of putting on. Although, I also have a set of M565 LX cantilevers (1994) that work just as well that are also in my parts bin. If I go with new, I think the Paul Components Touring Canti brakes (in silver) would look great on this bike.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
nahhhh

misterdangerpants said:
groovy, thanks for the info. currently debating whether or not to keep them. just picked up the bike this past Saturday (and was away) so haven't had time to really research anything on the bike. prefer the low profile cantilevers, so these might go in the parts bin....
wide cantis are the way to go, better leverage and modulation, plus more mud clearance
if you cannot be swayed I think I have some of the used newer Shimanos sitting around
or will be once I start my restore/rebuild

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats. I had also been in touch with Mr. L in CT and recent travel prevented me from buying the *same* bike. I contacted the seller earlier today to make plans to meet and found out the bike had been sold. Just started searching this evening to see what else might be out there and found this thread! If by any chance you have second thoughts, let me know... would definitely be interested. I've been looking for a Rhygin Metax road frame for a while.

Enjoy!

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MP-1 said:
Congrats. I had also been in touch with Mr. L in CT and recent travel prevented me from buying the *same* bike. I contacted the seller earlier today to make plans to meet and found out the bike had been sold. Just started searching this evening to see what else might be out there and found this thread! If by any chance you have second thoughts, let me know... would definitely be interested. I've been looking for a Rhygin Metax road frame for a while.

Enjoy!
Thanks! :) Barb actually contacted me prior to posting it anywhere as she found my 2009 Cycle Kids Marathon blog, via Google I gather, where I mentioned my Rhygin Ra. Initially, I was tempted and but passed. After several correspondences and price adjustments with Mike, I was resolved to the fact that this stunning example wasn't bound for my stable. Anyway, after a brief respite from e-mailing, Mike wrote me (and agreed with the amount I offered) on a day where I was going to be passing through his neck of the woods on my way to my future in-laws, so I took the plunge. It all just fell into place! :thumbsup:

Right now, I'm waiting for a couple of items I got on eBay. The seat post is a 27.0, so I ended up buying a very nice McMahon Racing Titanium seat post. Also, I just assumed it was a 31.8 head tube, and didn't inspect it at all when I bought it bought it, and it's a 1-inch head tube so I picked up an old Moots titanium stem (120mm/26.0), also in excellent shape. Going to keep the Campy gruppo on, though am looking for an NOS Racing T crankset as the ones it came with are 170mm. Anyway, I can't wait to finish it! :cool:

By the way, is that your WTB ad up in the Boston Craigslist?

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
atpjunkie said:
wide cantis are the way to go, better leverage and modulation, plus more mud clearance if you cannot be swayed I think I have some of the used newer Shimanos sitting around or will be once I start my restore/rebuild
Well, for now I'm going to stick with the Mr. Grumpy's to see how they are. I tend to agree with Sheldon Brown's statement of "Narrow profile cantilevers are also capable of excellent performance, but only if properly set up." Clearance won't be an issue as this bike won't ever see mud.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts