Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
on a carbon steerer?

I'm assuming we're talking about carbon steering tubes. A star nut should never be used on a carbon steering tube. The damage to the inside of the steerer can lead to failure and the star nut doesn't properly support the steerer in the stem clamp area. Star nuts are stricty for metal steering tubes.

One exception is True Temper brand of carbon forks. These have much thinner walls than other brands. A 100mm long aluminum support sleeve is epoxied in place to add support, extending 2cm below the top of the upper headset bearing. A star nut is preinstalled with enough room to shorten the steerer by about 2cm if needed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Thanks C-40. Didn't know that. I have a carbon steerer. I don't know of a way to remove the star nut. What if I just drove it farther down & then installed a compression plug?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh my. The last thing that you would want to do is pound it out (even if the steerer tube were open all the way down, which I doubt). If you truly have a 1" threadless carbon steerer tube with a starnut installed, I would not ride that fork any longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.