Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year is wide open. Soo many different ways it could go. What are some of the questions you want answered.

Care to offer any predictions? Who are you rooting for?

Here's a couple:

Who will be the top American? Can he win a grand tour?

Will Damiano Cunego return to form? Will he have a 2004-type career or 2005?

Will George Hincapie be the team leader? Will he win?

Boonen or Petacchi? Who will win the most sprints?

Who will stop Boonen in the classics?

Who will caught be using drugs?

What will Vino do?

Will Zabel ever win another one or will he retire in obscurity?

Who will surprise us most?

Who's career will T-mobile screw up?

Who's career will CSC launch or relaunch?

fc

·
Registered
188 Posts
all good ones, and also ...

Will Basso rise to the occasion despite taking on 2 GTs?

Is Valverde the real deal?

Will Di Luca shoot himself in the foot by trying to become a GT contender?

Will Rujano ever race this year?

What will Horner do and what insanities will come out of his mouth?

and let's not forget ...

Will Lance and Sheryl ever get back together???

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wheezer said:
Will Rujano ever race this year?
What will Horner do and what insanities will come out of his mouth?
What's up with Rujano? He's the brilliant little climber from Colombia right?

There's no Horner insanities. He's just a confident man.

francois

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bas said:
What about Ulrich!?
Ullrich is a sentimental favorite of mine. I just wish he'd get out of t-mobile so I can have higher hopes for him.

fc

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
francois said:
This year is wide open. Soo many different ways it could go. What are some of the questions you want answered.

Care to offer any predictions? Who are you rooting for?

Will Zabel ever win another one or will he retire in obscurity?

fc
I that think we will know the answer to the first part of the question tomorrow (Saturday, March 18). If Petacchi ever is going to lead Zabel out for a major win it will be at M-SR. Other than Zabel's regaining the Green Jersey in the Tour de France, one more M-SR win has to be Zabel's greatest remaining goal.

Insofar as the second part of your question is concerned, Zabel may or may not retire. But, he never will retire into obscurity. I think that Zabel will be well remembered for many years after his retirement even if he never does another thing in cycling. Also, given Zabel's love of cycling, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the sport in come capacity even after he retires from racing.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Zabel is one of my favorites. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MarkS said:
I that think we will know the answer to the first part of the question tomorrow (Saturday, March 18). If Petacchi ever is going to lead Zabel out for a major win it will be at M-SR. Other than Zabel's regaining the Green Jersey in the Tour de France, one more M-SR win has to be Zabel's greatest remaining goal.

Insofar as the second part of your question is concerned, Zabel may or may not retire. But, he never will retire into obscurity. I think that Zabel will be well remembered for many years after his retirement even if he never does another thing in cycling. Also, given Zabel's love of cycling, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the sport in come capacity even after he retires from racing.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Zabel is one of my favorites. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Gotcha. Don't mean to insult Zabel. He is a cycling great and one of the absolute models for achievement, attitude and passion. It's more a question of does he retire with wins or not.

How does a top level sprinter retire anyway? It's hard leave the sport when you're only just microseconds from winning.

fc

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
francois said:
What's up with Rujano? He's the brilliant little climber from Colombia right?

francois
Rujano is having contract issues with his Selle Italia Team. It seems he doesn't want to race with them, and would rather wait until he starts with Quick Step post Giro. He looks to be the new rookie on your flash in the pan team Francois. Oh, and he's Venezuelan.

I want to know how the Giro will pan out. It looks to be the most exciting course in a wihle. I doubt it will be as good as 05, but there are some great riders coming. DiLuca, Simoni, Basso, Savoldelli, Landis, maybe Ullrich, and the comeback kid, Cunego. Hopefully Rujano will make it as well.

Silas

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
can a rider in the modern era

win the double.I really hope Ivan does in which case we'll hear a "Doh" all the way from Texas.

Can George win a big 'un.

Can Zabel and Petacchi coexist at the TdF?

Can Magnus take another classic

Can Boonen crush the world and bury the 'curse of the rainbow' (he seems wellen route)

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
The_Kidd said:
so you don't think Boonens gonna be marked out of contention?

I don't think PR is the sort of race where a rider with Boonen's attributes and class can be marked out of contention. If he has luck (doesn't fall/mechanical/flat) and he's on form (which he'll always be for PR if he can help it) the only way he can be beat is if some individual steps up their game and has the race of their life and just plain old out-motors him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts