Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if someone who knows campy can identify what campy model these hubs are? They came off a bike equiped with a Chorus/Record 8 speed drivetrain & are laced to Mavic Reflex clincher rims with Wheelsmith double butted spokes. They appear to be nice / well made hubs. Also wondering if this freewheel will accept 9 or 10 speed cassettes also. I also posted this in the campy forum too. Thanks

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
With the oil-port bands, I'd say they are late 90s/ early 2000s Record hubs.

Compare your freehubs with the photos on this page: http://branfordbike.com/articles/cassettes-and-cogs-pg60.htm

That should give you an idea of what cassettes may fit on there. The freehub looks quite different from the one sitting next to me that is 9/10/11-compatible.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
these are C record from the 8-speed era that started around 1990. this was campy's first freehub design. the splining is quite differend from today's that was introduced with the complete redesign of these hubs in the later '90's. they will only accept 8-speed cassettes. on the good side, 8-speed shifting was pretty good, at least in the late model C Record downtube shifters I have. works well with 9-speed chains.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Both previous responses are slightly off the mark.

They are Croce d'Aune hubs - mechanically identical to Record of the era but without "aero" cone covers.

I've had mine since 1991 - I'm in the process of replacing the rim on the front one, the hub is still perfect after 19 years so yes, they are "nice / well made hubs". Also fairly light - the front hub weighs 138 g which is not bad for a hub with a steel axle. The rear got replaced when I went to 10 speed.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Mark -- good eye. I wasn't certain my guess of Record was right, but I definitely knew they weren't C-Record (no snap-on aero cone caps).

They ARE 8-speed only though, right?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
well squees me. maybe the front cones were lost.

there's so little difference between Record and Croce hubs as to not to matter. the rear appear identical to C Record of '91.

and if the skewers had been correct obviously I would have known :D .

any way these are nice hubs.

·
Registered
363 Posts
They are also Chorus of the same era/year

Since the rest of the bike is equipped with Chorus and Record, These are also Chorus hubs which are identical to Croce.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
orbeamike said:
Since the rest of the bike is equipped with Chorus and Record, These are also Chorus hubs which are identical to Croce.
These are not chorus hubs. Chorus never had the center grease ports.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
raymonda said:
These are not chorus hubs. Chorus never had the center grease ports.
1995 and 1996 Chorus hubs had grease ports. I still own two pairs bought brand new (with the free hubs swapped after I could no longer buy my favorite 8-speed cassette).

Rear hubs of that vintage are identical to Record apart from the quick release skewers although the fronts are different with 7/32" bearings in Record and 3/16" for the rest of the line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts