Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Im a Cat 3 racer right out of college, this was my first year racing and Id like to make it all the way to at least a D3 or D2 domestic team eventually. However, being out of school this year I naturally have had to find a job, the hours arent a problem, the waking up early to train isnt a problem, its the standing on concrete for 8 hours a day. Due to this Ive been seeing SEVERE performance decreases in training, racing, and recovery. Does anyone know if it is the standing which is wrecking my legs or if its the adjusting to early riding etc etc. If it is the standing does anyone have any job pointers for aspiring pros for $$$ to pay the bills until I reach the top? Thanks
Andy

· Registered
339 Posts
IrishTriHiker said:
does anyone have any job pointers for aspiring pros for $$$ to pay the bills until I reach the top? Thanks
Andy
Err isn't the point of college to do further study for a particular job so why not do whatever you went to college for?

What is it you are doing that you need to stand on concrete for 8 hours a day? Unless you are one of those statue street performers then surely you can move around some and do things like stand on one leg and exercise the other while standing or heck just walk around a bit. However it sounds like something else is the problem here as the previous poster pointed out.

[Unrelated RANT]Oh that's right everybody goes to college these days just because they have to in order to get any job regardless of whether you need a degree to be able to do the job or not...[/RANT]

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Two things:
- get a rubber mat to stand on - much better than concrete.
- make a slant board: 12 x 12" piece of plywood at a 30 degree slant. Stand on it toes
elevated several times a day to stretch your Achilles tendons and calf muscles.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im standing on concrete working at a bike shop all day. I ride 6 A.M. whatever my coach has me do then go to work at 10. I think the problem may be the standing is not providing adequate recovery. Thanks to you guys who tried to help, and to the Mavrick from post # 2, how bout you take into consideration that 5 years of college for a Masters in education and history isnt exactly useful until schools begin again in the fall.

· Registered
543 Posts
It might be a combination of things. I try to ride twice a week a longer ride of around 50 miles with the club on the weekend and a shorter ride once during the week. During the summer I can do a 15 miler easily after work as it gets dark late. During the winter my only chance is before work about 6:45. I find I really dint do that well riding very early early. I chart all of my rides and I definitely go slower in the morning. I just feel sluggish. Maybe that is part of your problem. Also I assume when you were training in college you were riding with your team mates. Maybe you have trouble pushing yourself when you ride alone. Even training with team mates there is competiton to either keep up or lead, and if you are tired you won't feel it as much in that situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.