Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i am finally thinking of upgrading my pedals and shoes. first of all, i have been using the same shoe for my mtn and road bike (lack of $$$). i paid about $80 in 1999 for a pair of performance brand shoes. they seem comfortable enough (my feet are never sore after 30 miles on the mtn or a century on my road) but the seams are blowing out pretty quickly. i have definately got my money's worth. so, i have decided to go with specialized pro carbon shoes for my road bike. as far as the pedals are concerned, i am currently running a cheap pair of shimano spd's (pd-a515's) and am thinking of some time rxs carbon's or keo sprints or even some ultegra pedals. so, to my question, what kind of performance/comfort can i expect from a combo like this? will a stiff carbon shoe really help with the power transfer? i will basically be going from rags to riches and am hoping for great things. has anyone else taken a leap similar to mine?

as always, thanks for all of the great advice!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a set up very similar ( mtn shoes and spd's). I then switched to SHimano performance shoes and ultegra pedals. NO COMPARISON!! HaHa I love my setup now. YIPPY

·
Registered
704 Posts
You wont' regret spending on a pair of good-fitting lightweight shoes and decent pedals. I went from cheap and nasty on both to Sidi shoes and never regretted it. On pedals, I started with SPD types on MTB shoes, tried cheapy Looks and never got along with them - their axles were too short, so the rear inside face of my shoes rubbed on my cranks.

Tried a pair of Crank Bros Eggbeaters and found I liked them so much on my Sidi MTB shoes, I went with the road cleats when I bought my Sidi Genius road shoes. Now have a mix of Crank Bros pedals on all bikes and can ride them in either my MTB or road shoes, as best suits the ride. One thing I did find was that the standard Crank Bros road cleats made for nearly as comfortable walking in my road shoes as my MTB shoes - I fixed that with my new Crank Bros Quattro pedals - they come with a stiffer cleat that is not fun to walk in...

If I went with trad "road" pedals, I have a feeling my hours of pointless research would lead me to Shimano Ultegras, though this would dedicate a pair of shoes to one bike.

Hope that helps

D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dereck said:
If I went with trad "road" pedals, I have a feeling my hours of pointless research would lead me to Shimano Ultegras, though this would dedicate a pair of shoes to one bike.

Hope that helps

D

That's what I did. I started out with Specialized mountain comps with SPD 540 pedals, then upgraded to Specialized carbon comp road shoes and Ultegra SPD-SL 6610 pedals. No comparison, no troubles, no complaints. :D Happy feet :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts