Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1000 miles on my new Trek road bike. I would like to start to budget for replacement parts (when they wear out). What can I expect to be replaced first? Chain? Also how much $ and when?

I keep my bike tuned and CLEAN... Thanks-

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
1) Tires-750-2000 miles depending on tire
2) Handlebar Tape-When you change cables or like to try a diffferant color
3) Cables and housing- 2-3 times per year depending on how many miles you put in
4) Bearings
a) Wheels 3000-7000 miles
b) Bottom bracket 3,000 to 7000 miles
c) Headset (10,000 to 20,000 miles)
d) pedals 3,000 miles
5) Saddle ( a couple of seasons)
Wheel set
a) Spokes as they break or rebuild after 10,000 to 12,000 miles
b) Rims Depends on riding conditions 7,000 to 25,000 miles
6) Cassette Depends on what kind Campy will last about 2X as long as others e.g. 8,000 to 16,000 miles
7) Chains half the life of a cassette
8) Brake pads Depends on conditions 10,000 to 20,000 miles
9) Derailluers
a) Pully Wheels 10,000 miles
b) Front Depends on what kind but most will last a very long time unless crashed
c) Rear Same as above
10) Brifters Same as a bove but often need to be rebuilt to keep running. 7,000 to 10,000 miles before rebuild.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats pretty a comprehensive list there, you would make a good aircraft mechanic raymonda. So go do another 1000 miles and then replace your tires, then do another 1000 and replace your chain. There really isn't that much that needs done in the short term. Trek makes a good bike, I have just on 5000 miles on my Trek road bike and have only ever replaced those above parts (tires and chain).

·
Registered
449 Posts
not much

I'm sure it varies depending on parts, riding condidions, luck, etc, but in my experience most components will last a long time with some basic maintenance. I've got a 105-equipped bike with well over 20,000 miles on it and the only thing I've ever replaced are tires, chain, brake pads, bar tape and a cable or two. Right now it could use some new brake hoods, as the rubber is wearing out. I'll replace those next time I change the tape. Everything else works great.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Quite conservative

raymonda said:
1) Tires-750-2000 miles depending on tire
2) Handlebar Tape-When you change cables or like to try a diffferant color
3) Cables and housing- 2-3 times per year depending on how many miles you put in
4) Bearings
a) Wheels 3000-7000 miles
b) Bottom bracket 3,000 to 7000 miles
c) Headset (10,000 to 20,000 miles)
d) pedals 3,000 miles
5) Saddle ( a couple of seasons)
Wheel set
a) Spokes as they break or rebuild after 10,000 to 12,000 miles
b) Rims Depends on riding conditions 7,000 to 25,000 miles
6) Cassette Depends on what kind Campy will last about 2X as long as others e.g. 8,000 to 16,000 miles
7) Chains half the life of a cassette
8) Brake pads Depends on conditions 10,000 to 20,000 miles
9) Derailluers
a) Pully Wheels 10,000 miles
b) Front Depends on what kind but most will last a very long time unless crashed
c) Rear Same as above
10) Brifters Same as a bove but often need to be rebuilt to keep running. 7,000 to 10,000 miles before rebuild.
The above list is, IME, quite conservative. At 175 lb/80 kg, I'm consistently getting:

3500+ miles on Conti GP4000
25-30K miles on cables/casings
bearings lasting many 10s of thousands of miles
I'm pissed if wheels don't last 20K miles, and then I just replace the rim
65K miles on my previous BB (and the bearings were still fine)
headset just turned 100K miles
pedals have over 90K miles
current spokes have 40K miles (as do the hubs) and show no issues whatsoever
previous pulleys had 60K miles
60K miles on previous shifters and they were still OK, current ones have 40K miles - clean and lube only (no rebuilds needed).

YMMV :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The above list is, IME, quite conservative. At 175 lb/80 kg, I'm consistently getting:

3500+ miles on Conti GP4000
25-30K miles on cables/casings
bearings lasting many 10s of thousands of miles
I'm pissed if wheels don't last 20K miles, and then I just replace the rim
65K miles on my previous BB (and the bearings were still fine)
headset just turned 100K miles
pedals have over 90K miles
current spokes have 40K miles (as do the hubs) and show no issues whatsoever
previous pulleys had 60K miles
60K miles on previous shifters and they were still OK, current ones have 40K miles - clean and lube only (no rebuilds needed).

YMMV :)
You have to share your secret on how you:

1) Are able to get so many miles in a year
2) Can get so many more miles/years out of your cables and bearings.

If I average 3,000 mile a year, with your calculations:

1) I could get up to 10 years on the same cables and housing. (Maybe with friction shifters but to keep shifting crisp I find that at least 2 times a year I need to change cables.)
2) I could get over 20 years on the same bottom bracket bearing.
a) Are you still running a 5-6 speed drivetrain?
b) Have you taken the bottom bracket apart? I can't imagine there is any functional
grease left, let alone round bearings.
3) I could get 30 years on the same pedal. Let's see, what type of pedal would I have been riding in 1978? And, as above, I can't imagine any grease or round bearings remaining in them.
4) I could get over 30 years on my headset.
a) Again, have you checked your bearing and grease?

I have no doubt that your mileage per year is way beyond mine, which means that unless you live where the weather is perfect 24/7/365 you ride in all kinds of weather conditions without ever needing to service your bike. Either, you are the luckiest person living or you have some "mojo" you need to share with the rest of us. :thumbsup:

BTW, tell us more about your bike and the components you have hanging on it.

Also, how often do you need to put air in your tires, once every 2 years?:)

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Secrets

raymonda said:
You have to share your secret on how you:

1) Are able to get so many miles in a year
2) Can get so many more miles/years out of your cables and bearings.

If I average 3,000 mile a year, with your calculations:

1) I could get up to 10 years on the same cables and housing. (Maybe with friction shifters but to keep shifting crisp I find that at least 2 times a year I need to change cables.)
2) I could get over 20 years on the same bottom bracket bearing.
a) Are you still running a 5-6 speed drivetrain?
b) Have you taken the bottom bracket apart? I can't imagine there is any functional
grease left, let alone round bearings.
3) I could get 30 years on the same pedal. Let's see, what type of pedal would I have been riding in 1978? And, as above, I can't imagine any grease or round bearings remaining in them.
4) I could get over 30 years on my headset.
a) Again, have you checked your bearing and grease?

I have no doubt that your mileage per year is way beyond mine, which means that unless you live where the weather is perfect 24/7/365 you ride in all kinds of weather conditions without ever needing to service your bike. Either, you are the luckiest person living or you have some "mojo" you need to share with the rest of us. :thumbsup:

BTW, tell us more about your bike and the components you have hanging on it.

Also, how often do you need to put air in your tires, once every 2 years?:)
In order:
1) 7 month riding season, roughly 350 miles per week, 10 year average annual mileage = 9500 plus about 1000 miles per year on the rollers in winter.
2) cable life depends primarily on the amount of shifting, so that will vary widely. I live in flat country and don't shift that much. Quality bearings in a quality system of races (cups & cones), properly maintained and lubricated, will last a LONG time.

1) It's hard for me to imagine how you could wear out a set of cables in 1500 miles.
2) On the bike I bought in 1972, I put 90,000 miles on the BB (Campy Nuovo Record) and there were no pits in the axle or cups and the bearings were still shiny. I sold that bike in 1988 and it is still being ridden with the original BB. My current bike came with Campy Record in 1998 (cartridge BB) and I cracked the fixed cup flange by over-tightening it. After 60,000 miles, the bearings were still smooth and low friction. It now has a Chorus cartridge BB with 40,000 miles on it. Bearings are smooth and low friction. I clean and lube the BB each year, though I don't remove the cartridge seals and attempt to clean or grease the bearings. With things rolling smoothly and with low friction, I think it can be fairly assumed that they are in good shape.
3) Again, high quality bearings, properly maintained indeed should last a LONG time. My current Campy Record ProFit pedals have a extremely well designed bearing and non-contact seal system, and when you open them up, the grease is still white after 90,000 miles. The exteriors are beat up and will probably not last much longer, but the bearings are still in great shape.
4) The Chris King headset on my bike is still working just fine, with no signs of any loss of smoothness and the grease is still clean.

Actually, I avoid riding in bad weather and only get caught in the rain a few times per year. I have a 1998 Litespeed Vortex with Campy Record components. I replaced the rear derailleur and shifters after about 60,000 miles when upgrading to 10s. I had to replace one internal part in one of the 9s shifters after about 40K miles. When I upgraded to 10s, I also replaced the wheels that came with the bike (Campy Electrons) that still had good bearings. I now have Record hubs that are showing no signs of deterioration after 40,000 miles - I clean and lube them every 10,000 miles. The bike still has the original brakes, cranks, front derailleur, fork, stem, seat post, and head set; all working just fine. Bars replaced at 70,000 miles due to corrosion of the aluminum. Original saddle (Flite Ti) replaced after 75,000 miles (despite riding with a saddle cover, the leather finally wore through). I tear the bike completely apart every winter and clean and lube everything that will come apart.

I pump the tires once per week (about 3 strokes on my Silca Super Pista pump) :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I too have been riding Campy for over 20 years, either Chorus and or some Record. I've never managed to come close to what you have been able to. Also, I find their cartridge BB to develop play starting around 5,000. You won't notice it by spinning but rather by pulling back and forth on each crank arm. Much like we used to do when determining whether old style BB were adjusted to correct tolerences. around 6-8,000 mile they are pretty much spent.

Cables don't wear out. What happens is that moisture get in and mucks up the system, thus effecting shifting. Even with regular lubing I find they need to be changed every 1,500 miles. I like my shifting to work immediately and not have to fuss. I begin to notice a problem going from my 11 to 12 tooth cog. When I do, I know it is time to change cables and housing. Since it is a cheap and easy job I don't mind. It also give me an opportunity to change my tape.

I used Flite saddles from 1991 through 2,000. I always began wearing through the leather after 2 seasons and at that same time they always began to develop a "sway back". So, it was either raise my post 1/4 and never go out on the rivet or buy a new one. I always opted for buying a new one.

BTW, I also ride a Litespeed. Mine is a 2001 Tuscany and I have to pump my tires up 3 times a week, which takes about 4-5 pumps from my Pedro's with a Silca valve.

I'm really envious of your ability to ride so much but glad someone can do it.

Peace!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.