Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I did some electrical work for this guy, and in return he gave me this bike.... I was looking for a road bike to ride around so this worked out well. Plus it only took me about 2 hours to fix his electrical problems. Anyways I don't know very much about road bikes and was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this bike I got. The bike is a Bottecchia, and all of the parts on it say Compagnalo. I'll post a link to some photos (sorry their bad, I used my phone) I'd love any help you can give me. Thanks!!!

https://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/kdx99/

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Wow. You made out like a bandit. Bottechia is probably most famous for being the bike Greg Lemond won his amazing 1989 tour. After a head to head battle with Fignon, trading the yellow jersey numerous time, Lemond found himself with a 50sec deficit on the final stage, a 25km time trial through Paris. It was considered insurmountable. Lemond averaged 34 mph on a course laden with cobblestones to win by 5 sec. Prob the most famous tour victory ever.
I think your bike is the Squadra which had a Columbus SL tubeset. You should be able to tell by looking at the bottom bracket shell, it should say SL. The top notch was TSX, which is what Lemond rode. His had a yellow and purple paint scheme, which was unique to his team. Looks like it has a Campy Chorus group which is the second to top line made by Campy. I'd guess the bike is from 1990.
It's a pretty traditional bike for the time. Hand brazed in Italy. Nearly all bikes in that time were steel. Just a gorgeous bike, and from the looks of it, in mint condition.
While you'd have a great time riding it, it is more of a collectors piece. You never know but I'd guess on e-bay it would make at least $1000.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
I just took a closer look at the photos and noticed there was a frame decal on the downtube. It looks like SPX. Interesting. It's a heavier duty tubeset that folks would use on larger sized bikes, crit bikes, bikes for bigger riders etc.... Pretty cool. Pretty cool. Looks like it's around a 58-59 cm. Should fit someone around 6 ft tall.
Hey wadda ya know, it would fit me!
Guess I should have learned a trade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is a top of the line Bottecchia and you would be very hard pressed to find any steel bike any better than that one.

Since I'm recovering from severe injuries caused from my CARBON FIBER fork falling apart I suggest that you probably have the ideal bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
high quality 80s Italian steel

I've seen very nice Bottechia and so-so Bottechia (they made a full line of road bikes). Yours is a very nice one. Made in northeast Italy (Vittorio Veneto). Named after Italy's big Tour de France star of the 1920s Ottavio Bottechia (who was from Vittorio Veneto). And the Campy parts are nice. That bike has a lot of potential. If you don't want it as your ride, find someone who knows exactly what model Campy is on it, put the seat at the right height, measure the frame size accurately, and sell it on-line. I don't know about getting $1000 for it, but you will find a buyer for it quickly at a pretty good price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help. Yes, the bike is a little too big for me. I am 5'10 and the Guy I got it from was about 6'2. He did say he bought the bike new in the early 90's..... He thinks 91. I will look at the stamp at the bottom of the frame and see what it says... I will also try to post some better photos of the bike. I rode it for the first time last night and it was really smooth.

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
tkunich said:
Since I'm recovering from severe injuries caused from my CARBON FIBER fork falling apart I suggest that you probably have the ideal bike.
You should post a thread about this--the carbon haters will have a field day!

To the OP--total score on that bike--one of my fave's of all time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would have guessed it was a 62 cm and would date it around 1992. It looks to have a 92 Campy Chorus groupo and is in nice condition. At the time Chorus was third from the top with Record and Croce' ahead of it. The brake pads look good and beefy and there doesn't appear to be any rust on the bolts.

This is a collectable bike or just a great bike to ride. It is really a nice ride and one that will strike envy from cyclist every where. A bike like this would go for between $1,200-1,800 used.

However, being such a big frame, the question is does it fit you. If not sell it or hang it on your wall. It sure is purty!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oooh, oooh

Your frame looks exactly like my 1990 Bottecchia Professional, except mine is a bit larger (60cm - yours must be 58cm or so). The maker, Theodoro Carnielli, seems to have gone out of business, though bikes labelled Bottecchia are still availabe. Carnielli also made other lines of bikes - I think they also made Atala. While Greg rode bikes marked Bottecchia, I expect they came from a custom builder, not Carnielli. You have a very classic steel bike. Do I see Phil Wood hubs? The brake calipers are the original Chorus issue. Enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.